Badgers stumble this weekend at Invitational

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (4-2-1) hosted Iowa State (2-2-1), Nebraska (2-2-1) and Michigan State (1-3-2) in the Rocky Rococo Invitational on Friday and Sunday. The Badgers looked to increase a four-game winning streak against Iowa State Friday and Nebraska on Sunday.  

Following a 1-1 double overtime game between Nebraska and Michigan, the Badgers took the rain-soaked field to face the Iowa State Cyclones. The ladies, unfortunately, could not keep the winning streak alive as Iowa State's early goal 55 seconds into the game could only be matched 33 minutes later in the game when freshman forward Emily Kintzer, after pulling a move to get past the Cyclones goalie, kicked the first goal of her collegiate career. By the end of the game, the Badger offense pushed hard in their zone, but the Cyclones' defense was too much to overcome.  

\[We were] showing a sign of wanting it too badly,"" UW Coach Dean Duerst said. ""We'll give them one, but we should have had two [goals] easily.""  

After two overtimes and a Wisconsin goal taken away late in the game from a questionable foul near the net, the game ended in a 1-1 tie. 

Wisconsin returned to a muddy field on Sunday afternoon with the intention of increasing their undefeated streak to six. Nebraska, however, was hungry for a win after not picking up a victory in their last three games. The Badger defense, led by All-Tournament junior defender Molly Meuer, came out tough, limiting Nebraska to only three shots on goal. The offense was not able to capture the victory as the team walked away from the field losing 2-1. 

Badger freshman goalie Stefani Szczechowski was not able to hold onto the ball from Nebraska's sophomore forward Nikki Baker, and junior forward Iman Haynes easily put the ball into the net. The Badger offense then took advantage of Nebraska's junior goalie Brooke Bredenberg when, with 12 minutes left in the game, Kintzer ran by Bredenberg to squeak the ball into the corner of the net to tie the game and give Kintzer her second goal of the tournament.  

""[She is] evolving-it takes awhile to adjust and learn the pace, and right now she's definitely using her skills and strength very effectively,"" Duerst said. 

Wisconsin looked to be going into another overtime game when a Badger turnover at midfield was taken for a goal. Szczechowski fell in the torn-up and muddy field trying to grab the ball from Nebraska's freshman forward Ashley Carter, who did not miss an empty net to seal the Nebraska victory . 

After the game on Sunday, Duerst was clearly frustrated with the loss to Nebraska and tie against Iowa State.  

""[This weekend was] disappointing because I think we're a better team result-wise than we showed,"" Duerst said. ""We didn't get them now, we're going to get them next weekend; I think it's move forward, we're better, and finish."" 

Duerst and his Badgers look forward to the first Big Ten game of the year against Indiana at home Friday.