Notice, appeals characterize new athletic dept. policy

A number of student athletes have been arrested or have committed other violations in the past years. Now student athletes who infringe the law will have to face a new policy issued by Barry Alvarez, UW assistant athletic director. 

According to the policy, subsequent to arrest, student athletes will receive immediate notification of suspension from all games and practices until further notice. 

\I think Barry felt it was very important that expectations are laid out for student athletes and the potential penalties for misconduct be in black and white,"" Steve Malchow, assistant athletic director said. 

Additionally, the policy allows for a presented written appeal, but such a request must be received within 72 hours of the suspension. 

""Each case is going to be different,"" Malchow said. ""If they felt they were charged incorrectly or there's more information, the student athlete has a chance to appeal the suspension."" 

The Appeals Committee will consist of members of the athletic department who may choose to lift any suspension. However, the committee's decision will be final.  

The policy also allows for every coach to make an individual policy for their specific team. 

""Team policies can be more stringent if the coach chooses to go that route, but the policy is a baseline measure for all student athletes,"" Malchow said.