W Cup within UW's grasp

The annual W Cup is up for grabs Saturday as the No. 3 Wisconsin Badgers and No. 2 Washington Huskies Men's varsity rowing teams match up on the friendly waters of Lake Mendota. Both teams will look to continue their early season success and solidify themselves as the frontrunners to unseat the top-ranked, defending national champion California Golden Bears.  

UW has never come away with a victory in the 10-year history of the W Cup, yet this year that might finally change. The race takes place in Madison and the last time these two crews met was in the finals of the IRA National Championships, Wisconsin came out ahead of Washington. Do not tell that to the Badgers though, because they know it will take a perfectly executed race to beat the talented Huskies. 

\We just want to be competitive with them, if that means you're fortunate enough to win, then so be it. We just want to make it a real race,"" Head Coach Chris Clark said.  

If the Badgers consider themselves underdogs, there are ample reasons why. First and foremost is the fact that this race comes early in the season for a team that is relegated to indoor training throughout the cold winter months while Washington and other crews are on the water. 

""Washington has probably put more miles on the water already than we will in the entire spring season,"" junior two seat and team captain Micah Boyd said. ""They have rowed a lot more than we have right now, that puts them at an advantage."" 

Yet the differences do not end there, as UW competes as the only non-scholarship varsity sport on the Madison campus, and also has one of the only non-scholarship crews that has shown national prominence. Washington's rowers not only receive scholarships but also enter college as much more experienced oarsmen, many of whom are Olympic athletes from overseas. On the other hand, Wisconsin's varsity boat features five rowers who had never even stepped foot in a shell before coming to Wisconsin. A Hollywood writer could not come up with a better success story than Wisconsin rowing, yet the Badgers do not make excuses or hide behind these differences.  

""Of the two eights at Cal and Washington, of the 16 guys, I think six are American, maybe five,"" Head coach Chris Clark said. ""They are imported worldwide. That is not an excuse on our part by any means, just a greater challenge for us.""  

This year's boat is arguably the fastest in Wisconsin's history and have received national recognition with their high ranking coming off of last season. With this year's early success the Badgers know a victory against Washington would help further change the national perception of UW rowing.  

""It's still strange for us being here, you don't think of Wisconsin as a rowing 'Mecca' as opposed to a city like Boston or Philadelphia,"" Junior two seat Alex Cockerill said. ""It's hard to think of us as a competitor in that sense."" 

National perception aside, the Badgers want to come away with a victory this weekend and bring the W Cup to the Wisconsin boathouse and continue their early season success. The Badgers hope the W Cup will be the first of many trophies this season, culminating in an IRA National Championship trophy in June.