UW seeks to double satisfaction

After a college team wins a conference championship, it usually can afford to take a break. With next season seeming so far off, it is only normal for a team to momentarily loosen its grip. This, however, is not the case for the UW men's track team.  

The Badgers won the Big Ten Indoor Championship in March and only a month and a half later, are already beginning to hit their stride toward another Big Ten championship-only this time, in the great outdoors. 

\After the indoor championships, the guys have a lot of excitement and anticipation carried over into the outdoor [season],"" Head Coach Ed Nuttycombe said. ""We are where we need to be right now."" 

As of ""right now,"" the Badgers have participated in several meets since the conclusion of the indoor season-including meets in Florida, California and Texas-but they have yet to send the entire team to a single meet. 

""When we went to California, Texas and Florida, we only brought 60 percent of the team, so it has not really been a full team effort yet,"" Nuttycombe said. ""This [coming weekend] is the first weekend where we have our full-fledged team. This is really the true start to the outdoor season."" 

This weekend the Badgers travel to California to compete in the Mount SAC and Pomona Pitzer meets with, as Nuttycombe alluded to, a full squad. The Badgers will compete at Mount SAC Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as the Pomona Pitzer Friday. With little to judge themselves by in the outdoor season so far, the UW track athletes look forward to the challenge this weekend in California. 

""The team's been looking really good so far this season,"" sophomore sprinter Dan Murray said, ""but this is a good chance to start to progress towards the Big Ten championships."" 

In addition, it is a chance to be together as a team, a benefit not lost on UW's senior leadership. 

""This weekend, we finally get to be together as a team,"" said senior high-jumper Steve Jones. ""We're like a big family. We get along together, and it doesn't feel right when we can't all be at the same events."" 

Jones also touched on the differences between the indoor season and the outdoor. 

""You need to obviously adjust to the wind and the surrounding factors, but really the competition is just a lot more fierce,"" Jones said. ""Unlike the indoor season, this is what you did in high school, and to me, the indoor season is all about building up to this part of the season."" 

The ultimate buildup is, of course, for the Big Ten Outdoor Championships, held in Minneapolis May 16 and 17. While the Badgers are an obvious favorite to win the Big Ten because of their indoor success, their neighbors to the west are an even more popular pick. 

""You will see a lot of fingers pointing at us [to win the conference championship], but Minnesota is at home and they are always one of the best in the nation and are going into this season as one of the top teams,"" Nuttycombe said. 

Murray agreed with his coach's assessment, but highlighted the unpredictability of the sport in years past. 

""[Minnesota] always look really strong on paper, but you only need a couple of events to swing your way, and that's what happened for us at the Indoors,"" Murray said. ""Nobody ever predicts us to win the conference championships, but it's happened."" 

Until that opportunity comes again in May, UW is content to continue building up its strength and skill in its practices and meets.  

One thing is certain, though: nobody is satisfied with looking back at the Indoor championship for validation of the season. 

""With indoor, we've always tried to feel that there's a couple of stones left unturned,"" Nuttycombe said. ""That way, in the spring, we'll have something to work towards."" 

With a second Big Ten conference title in their reach, the Badgers have something truly special to motivate them.