News Briefs

Syrian Foreign Minister Farouq al-Shara said Monday that his country had closed its border with Iraq, signaling an improvement in the United States' relations with Syria following accusations last week that Syria is developing weapons of mass destruction and harboring Iraqi terrorists. 

According to the New York Times, Iraqis must now carry passports to get into Syria; they could once freely cross the border.  

President Bush said Sunday that Syria was complying with U.S. demands for cooperation. Al-Shara said Monday that his country welcomed Bush's remarks. 

Raeliar representatives who are part of the Raelian Movement, will speak tonight on campus about their cloning organization that claims to have duplicated five children.  

They will share details about the organization, which was founded in 1997. It is based on the idea that extraterrestrials used DNA and genetic engineering to create all life on earth. The presentation is at 7:30 p.m. in the Memorial Union Lakefront Cafe as part of the Spotlight Lectures Series.