Sunday, June 16, 2024

Students to protest today

Local activists expect UW-Madison students to forego class today in favor of an anti-war rally at Bascom Hall at 11 a.m., with a procession to the state Capitol following. 

The activities, dubbed \Books Not Bombs,"" are part of an international student strike organized by the National Youth and Student Peace Coalition, asking students to give up their daily routine in order to make a statement. 

According to Josh Healey, a UW-Madison freshman helping to plan local activities, organizers anticipate attendance to be in the thousands despite predicted low temperatures. 

""Our expectations are that it will be a huge success,"" he said. ""Lots of university students will not be going to classes all day."" 

Healey said the rally will involve political music and speakers, including one man who was recently called up to the army reserves. 

UW-Madison administrators said they will follow regular attendance policies today. In a notice to deans, directors and department chairs, Provost Peter Spear said that if students strike, the university will maintain ""normal policies and procedures for class attendance, turning in assignments, exams, etc."" and will maintain that policy throughout the semester.  

The Teaching Assistants' Association, however, has taken a more lenient stance on the issue. The group adopted an anti-war resolution at their Jan. 28 meeting that advocates ""refrain[ing] from penalizing students who participate in actions regarding the war, including students who are absent as part of organized demonstration."" 

An e-mail from TAA co-president Mike Quieto to members advocated allowing students to make up any work missed due to the strike and suggesting that they not take attendance. 

Sgt. Charles Weiss of the Madison Police Department said two parade permits were obtained for the event. He said to expect additional officers in the area during the demonstration. 

Today will also mark the last day an anti-war encampment will lie on Library Mall. Officials from the Madison Fire Department recently raised concerns about fire safety with the temporary structures intended to simulate a refugee camp and organizers said they would take it down. 

""It's been up there two-and-a-half weeks and we feel we've made our point,"" Healey said. ""We've made it visible. We want to move on and do other sorts of action against the war.\