Seniors impress NFL scouts

Very few UW students had as much at stake on Wednesday as Wisconsin's senior football players. The athletes spent the afternoon in the McClain Facility running, jumping and working to convince scouts of their worthiness to compete in the National Football League.  

Quarterback Brooks Bollinger, offensive lineman Al Johnson and defensive back B.J. Tucker are among the seniors who hope to play in the NFL next season. Tucker showed scouts his remarkable speed, running the 40 yard dash in 4.29 seconds.  

\I'm just trying to get my stock up higher by coming out here and running a 4.2,"" Tucker said. Johnson also impressed scouts with the speed he achieved with his broad frame. 

""My best in the past is 5.05 [seconds],"" Johnson said. ""Today, the best one was 4.95."" Johnson's speed, as well as his ability to play either guard or center, could help him become the first center taken in the NFL Draft April 26.  

Bollinger has also had impressive showings this offseason, both at the NFL Combine and Wednesday's workout. 

""I think I threw well,"" Bollinger said. ""Overall I'm pretty happy with the day.""  

Green Bay Packers quarterback coach and UW alum Darrell Bevell gave the four-year starter glowing reviews.  

""Brooks is a great guy, he's a great player and he's a great leader,"" Bevell said. 

""He's got it all; he has the numbers and he's the winningest quarterback here. He's done well, he's got all the intangibles and today he was able to show that he can throw it around a little bit."" 

Bollinger preferred to take a cautiously optimistic position.  

""I don't want to get too caught up in what people are saying now,"" Bollinger said. ""I just want to be happy with whatever happens... I'm just trying to take it one day at a time and do the best I can. Hopefully, good things will happen in the end."" 

To help survive his grueling audition, and the scrutiny that comes with it, Tucker drew on his former teammates' experience. 

""I talked to [Tennessee Titan and former UW defensive back] Mike [Echols] and Fletch [Miami Dolphin and former UW defensive back Jamar Fletcher] two weeks before I went to the Combine, and they just said, 'be relaxed. It's a meat market out there and everybody's trying to test you,'"" Tucker said. 

If all goes well, Tucker will soon join the former UW stars in an NFL uniform.