News Briefs

A man peeped over a stall wall as a woman showered in Elizabeth Waters Residence Hall Tuesday. UW Police were called and subsequently searched the building, but the man was not found. 

The suspect is described as a black male in his 20s. Anyone with information regarding the incident is encouraged to call 262-TIPS. 

Elizabeth Waters is planning on increasing security measures, which includes locking more doors and stricter rules on visitors. Students are encouraged to call UW Police if they see anything suspicious. 

Two armed suspects attempted to rob a male and a female UW-Madison student early Wednesday morning at the Adams Gate House, according to UW Police. 

The suspects threatened the female with a miniature wooden baseball bat and the male victim was grabbed by the neck and threatened. The victims insisted they were not carrying any money or valuables. The suspects were not able to rob the victims and ultimately fled the area on foot. 

Both suspects are described as black males, about six feet tall and approximately 175 pounds. 

Police officers reminded students and community members to take well-lit paths and use Safe Arrival For Everyone transportation services. 

Tonight, the first and only campus debate between city council candidates in student-area districts 5 and 8 will take place at the Memorial Union at 7 p.m., TITU. 

The Wisconsin Union Directorate Contemporary Issues Committee is sponsoring the debate, which will include a period for audience members to pose their own questions.  

Candidates Jason Stephany and Robbie Webber will represent District 5. Stephany is a UW-Madison sophomore on a leave of absence and the state chair of the College Democrats. Webber is a member of Progressive Dane and program manager at the Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin. 

Candidates Jeff Erlanger and Austin King will represent District 8. Erlanger is chair of the city's Commission on People With Disabilities and a member of the Lisa Link Peace Park Committee. King is a UW-Madison junior and a member of Students for Sensible Drug Policy and Men Opposing Sexual Assault. 

District 8 runs from Tripp Circle by the Lakeshore Dorms to Henry Street on the near east side. District 5 runs from North Lakeshore Drive to Regent Street and Randall Avenue.