Film Festival a reel premiere event

Spring break has been over for only a week and everyone is already settled back into school. Just in time to break the monotony, the fifth annual Wisconsin Film Festival is in town from March 27-30. The four-day event takes place on campus and at various downtown Madison venues each spring. Presenting new feature, documentary and experimental independent films, as well as world cinema and new media, the festival also incorporates activities such as panels, performances and discussions with filmmakers. 

As an added attraction this year, Roger Ebert will appear to introduce one of his favorite films, the Beatles' \A Hard Day's Night."" He will remain to discuss the film afterward and to speak about another featured film, ""Better Luck Tomorrow."" 

Lori Wilson, a festival spokesperson, said she considered Ebert to be one of the highlights of the event. 

""Obviously, having Roger Ebert here is huge,"" she said. ""He's an exciting addition to the festival, and in addition to a book signing he will also be doing film discussions on his favorite film."" 

Produced by a public program of the University of Wisconsin-Madison Arts Institute, the festival is quickly becoming one of Madison's prime attractions. Wisconsin's only major film festival and independent film event, the festival is also gaining national credibility and attention. 

""Nationally, it's one of the premiere events in the Midwest,"" Wilson said. ""It's taken very seriously, especially for independent filmmakers."" 

The festival began in 1999 with about 30 films, two venues and 3,000 attendees. It has flourished into 140 films, six venues and 18,500 visitors in 2002. Last year's audience included people from 21 states and Canadian provinces and more than 140 cities from New York to San Francisco. 

""Every year we've grown,"" Wilson said. ""In part, local people are getting a hang of the festival atmosphere; it's a process of learning and understanding."" 

The eight venues this year include Orpheum Theatre, 216 State St., Club Majestic, 115 King St., the Bartell Theatre, 113 Mifflin St., Steep & Brew, 544 State St. Cinematheque and the Pyle Center. More than 150 films will screen from over 25 countries. The international listings include films from new African cinema, as well as from Palestine, Israel, Iran, Korea and China.  

Mary Carbine, festival director, said it was a main goal of the festival to keep a focus on international films. 

""It's very important, especially at this time, to see  

culture produced by people from other countries and view and understand cultures different than our own,"" she said.  

Additionally, the festival is known for introducing and promoting Wisconsin filmmakers. This year, 50 films will screen by new and major filmmakers with Wisconsin connections. As the festival emphasizes experimental film, it will display many films from Wisconsin experimental filmmakers, particularly those from UW-Milwaukee's film production program.  

Wilson said she felt the focus on Wisconsin filmmakers and universities are an integral part of the festival. 

""UW has a fantastic film department and it's all instrumental in creating the festival,"" she said. ""It's a rare and wonderful event that makes Madison a great place to live."" 

Evidence to the growing success of the festival is the rate at which films are selling out of tickets this year. The first film to sell out, ""Red Betsy,"" did so within a week of ticket sales opening and was quickly followed by screenings of more than 60 other films. Film features include ""Bend It Like Beckham,"" ""XX/XY,"" ""Morvern Callar"" and ""Amandla! A Revolution in Four-Part Harmony.""  

Another highlighted event at the festival is a recently added tribute to filmmaker Stan Brakhage. After producing over 300 American avant-garde films in six decades, Brakhage died March 9, 2003. The festival will acknowledge Brakhage by screening three of his short films: ""Earthsong of the Cricket,"" ""Birds of Paradise"" and ""The Wold Shadow.""  

Carbine said she thought UW-Madison students and the Madison community would understand the importance of Brakhage and the festival in general. 

""The university community is made of so many students who are bright, inquisitive and engaged people,"" she said. ""And Madison is a very friendly, welcoming and educated town. It's the right place for an event like this.""  

Various Wisconsin corporate sponsors and Madison community patrons will support the event through the donation of funds and venue space as well as discounts and specials at assorted Madison eateries. Restaurants near the venues will offer distinctive meals corresponding to certain films.  

Between out-of-the-ordinary films, panels and coffeehouse discussions, the Wisconsin Film Festival is a unique way to spend a spring weekend. Carbine stressed the importance of the festival in providing a way to see movies out of the mainstream. 

""A lot of culture and entertainment media are driven by profit motives to appeal to a broadcast, mainstream audience,"" Carbine said. ""But independent films are a way for alternative perspectives to be viewed and enjoyed in the mainstream.\