UW medical student sparkles at Miss Madison Pageant

It was a night of performance filled with everything from ballet, cello and singing, to graceful presentations of evening gowns and interviews.  

At the end, the crown of poised and confident UW-Madison medical student Tina Marie Sauerhammer sparkled with radiance as she won the Miss Madison Pageant Saturday. 

Sauerhammer's path to success began long before this weekend, however. After completing eighth grade at 14, she skipped high school and attended UW-Green Bay. At 18 she became the youngest graduate in the university's history. The 22-year-old will graduate this May from UW-Madison School of Medicine as the youngest in her class.  

But this year's pageant was more than just an inspiring story of one contestant winning a crown--it marked the first time since 1977 that it was held two years in a row. The number of contestants also jumped from four last year to 11 this year. 

\I had to turn girls away this year,"" said pageant executive director Jayme Cain about the surge of interest from Madison women even after the competition's entrance deadline. 

Cain, a 25-year-old student and pageant veteran, revived the Miss Madison Pageant last year. The pageant, affiliated with the Miss America Organization, had not taken place for four years. 

""The majority of the girls are really in it to promote their platform,"" Cain said, referring to the theme contestants choose to promote if crowned.  

Sauerhammer's platform is GOLD, the Gift of Life Donation, where she hopes to increase awareness of organ donation. She chose the platform in honor of her father, who passed away last year at the age of 44 after having waited four years for a kidney donor. 

""It was a way to give back to him the life that he gave me,"" she said. 

Miss Madison 2002, Tiffany Victoria Davis, 25, of Middleton, spent the year promoting mentors who work with children. 

""This is definitely something that's a lifelong goal for me,"" Davis said. 

Besides the platform, contestants were also motivated by the scholarship money the pageant awards. The Miss America Organization awards $40 million annually. 

""This organization is the largest supplier of scholarships to women in the world,"" said second runner-up and UW-Madison senior Kelly Cramer. ""They give away so much money and are the reason why people can continue on in school.""  

Davis said she encouraged Sauerhammer to participate actively in the community. 

""I'm really proud to have her coming after me, I think we're setting a precedent,"" Davis said.  

As for Cain, the future of Miss Madison looks optimistic. 

""Because of this year, next year is going to be phenomenal,"" Cain said.