Iron Mike never rusts

Michael Jordan has golf. Pete Rose has gambling. Green Bay Packers tailback Ahman Green likes to snowmobile. Even UW hockey players like to, well, ok, bad example. Whatever it may be, most athletes participate in a variety of leisure activities to escape the pressures of their respective sport. Boxers most likely enjoy the same R&R, unless, of course, you are Mike Tyson. 

After his 49-second disposal of Clifford Etienne on Saturday night, Tyson said he would take some time off before fighting again. Anything and everything is to be expected of a self-proclaimed domesticated animal, especially when \it"" steps near a microphone, not to mention the ring. At the post-fight press conference, Tyson could have told the media that he just needed some time to chill, but this is Mike Tyson and he tells it like it is. 

""I like doing other things--I like getting high, I like being out with my children, I like drinking,"" said Tyson, sporting his half-finished facial tattoo. 

It is amazing that America is so hung up on a domestic abuser and convicted rapist, much less a complete lunatic. I'll admit I think Tyson is appealing for the same reason as everyone else. We want to see what he is going to do or say next. 

Just as audiences flock to ""The Bachelorette"" or ""Joe Millionaire,"" America is obsessed with the freak show that is Mike Tyson. We want to watch someone that puts fear into an opponent's eyes and beats them to a bloody pulp, while occasionally devouring an earlobe. 

That ""freak show"" could come true. 

According to a Hollywood TV show producer, a reality show featuring Tyson could be announced in the coming weeks. Reports say it will involve an average man (delusional at best) training to step into the ring with Tyson. An instant classic. Not much sex appeal, but wouldn't you tune in, at least to see how long Tyson's opponent would survive? Another one minute KO wouldn't cost a dime anyway. 

Not to worry though. If reality TV falls through, Tyson will undoubtedly get another heavyweight title shot at Lennox Lewis. And win or lose, America will get what they want: ""Iron"" Mike. 

Tell them Mike. 

""I probably would've had an average, every-day life if I didn't fight. It made me not like Mike Tyson no more. When you guys show me love, I hate you because I don't like myself. I've got a Catch-22 within my own identity."" 

Well said. When is the next press conference?