UW student who passed away present in memory of friends

The lack of publicity regarding the death of Mark Edward Mueller has generated a lot of talk. The media does a fantastic job to elaborate and exaggerate stories in order to gain publicity or influence a target. This article is not the media's portrayal of Mark's death, nor is it a mechanism to draw attention from the populace. This article is much more than that--it is a brief insight into the life of a friend who walked the streets of our heart, a friend who has not lost his way in this world.  

To his teammates, Mark \Denim"" Mueller is the co-captain of the high school football team or the co-captain of the high school basketball team. Many recognize him as an All-State tennis player or an All-Conference football player. The community knows Mark as the man who volunteers to assist the handicapped, referee for the YMCA and participate in church activities. His co-workers are aware of Mark's dedication at the Monroe Country Club and the UW Athletic Department. His teachers understand Mark as a studious individual with a high level of achievement and competitiveness. These are some of the characteristics used to describe Mark Mueller, but there is much more to my friend Denim. 

En route to lunch or dinner or a party or the bathroom, Denim has more time for others than he does himself. If I want to talk about the game, or if someone else has a question about the homework, Denim puts our life ahead of his. Help is a term that is taken to a new level if Denim is the one doing it, because a man with everything to give has nothing to lose and so much to gain. Questions are not only directed towards Denim--most times he has just as many questions for me. He has enormous intuition, and his inquisitive nature does not go unforeseen. No, Denim, I have no idea how the Incas knew that corn had 19 of the 20 essential amino acids. I certainly cannot answer you the percentage of people who eat the orange slice off their plate (the one slice given with the meal, mostly for decoration). I do not know when you and I will be partners playing in Wimbledon. 

We always have interesting comments for one another. When we play tennis together, I receive more excitement from your competitive nature and distinguished comments than I do from the always-close matches. We play tennis for the love of the game and after playing for two hours in the heat we look at one another, face sweating and arms tired, and say in unison, ""For the love of the game."" When I sit in the den and do my homework, Denim always comes in; he and I spend endless nights studying and reading. We always say, in reference to the work and studying, ""It never ends."" My sarcasm and comedy is only a reflection of his characteristics, because every time we talk one of us leaves the room with a smile. I may not have all the answers Denim, but I do know it never really ends.  

Denim's presence is a gift to all those in grief, to all those who need assistance and to all those who want to become someone better. His friends, family and associates have nothing bad to say about Mark--I imagine one could not even conjure the smallest hatred against him.  

His presence is not in the past. It remains embedded in our hearts, not as a dream, but as a part of our everyday lives. Many of you do not know Denim and even more of you do not know what it feels like to lose a friend. For those of us who do, we get by with what is left for us to live and we take his blessings with us as we finish our journey.  

When two roads diverged in the woods, some take the path less traveled, but you found your own way. The world is a large place, yet small in the universe. Our dreams allow us to explore and our journey never ends. Mark Mueller, you cannot be forgotten, and you will always be remembered. Time does not expire--it is controlled by our imagination--we will not let the light burn out. We will use it to find you once again. Denim, you are not lost in this world, you are merely on your way.