Hurting the team?

If only Oakland Raiders guard Frank Middleton knew. And guard Mo Collins. And countless media organizations across the country. 

Barret Robbins has a serious medical condition known as bipolar disorder. 

On Monday, four teammates, all speaking on the condition of anonymity, told the San Francisco Chronicle that Robbins spent Saturday in Tijuana, Mexico. Immediately, reports compared Robbins' disappearance to former Cincinnati Bengals fullback Stanley Wilson's cocaine relapse before Super Bowl XXIII and former Atlanta Falcons safety Eugene Robinson's arrest for sex-solicitation before the Super Bowl four years ago. 

Middleton probably won't be back next year due to the Raiders salary cap issue, but said he would prefer to play with reliable teammates. 

\I don't want to go into next year worrying about some cat making it to the game,"" Middleton told the newspaper. ""But I'll tell you this--if Barret Robbins comes back, I won't. You can print that."" 

Collins was asked why Robbins missed practice Saturday and came into the team meeting that night disoriented and confused. 

""Too much bad tequila,"" Collins said angrily. 

However, it appears the Raiders pro-bowl center was not out for a night of booze and drunkenness as his teammates suggested. Rather, the 320-pound center had some sort of manic episode.  

As it turns out, Robbins suffers from a severe chemical imbalance known as bipolar disorder, which can lead to depression and mania, and cause intense mood swings and drastic changes in behavior. 

""It's a very serious psychiatric condition,"" said UW family medicine resident Dr. John Basarich. ""Someone with mania can lose any control of their impulses."" 

Dr. Basarich added: ""These impulses can lead someone to compulsive spending, committing crimes, binge drinking or using alcohol or drugs."" 

Basarich said bipolar disorder can be treated but is not entirely curable. 

The San Jose Mercury News reported that two Raiders fans and a bar worker saw Robbins early Saturday night at a local pub called Moon Doggy's in Pacific Beach, Calif. The two fans heard him muttering to himself and crying at one point. The fans gave him $20 for a cab ride back to the hotel, as they wished Robbins good luck in the game. 

Upon Robbins' arrival at team headquarters, Raiders coach Bill Callahan informed Robbins he would not be playing in the Super Bowl and that he had to leave the team hotel. 

Nobody, including Robbins' agent, was certain of his whereabouts Saturday. Robbins was hospitalized Sunday, and remained in doctors' care as of Tuesday night as they continued to perform tests to determine his exact condition. An unnamed family member told the New York Daily News Robbins is also on suicide watch. 

Not only are these reports serious, but Raiders management did not inform the team of Robbins' condition, which was diagnosed in 1996. 

Dr. Basarich was asked if such a condition could hypothetically cause someone to drive from San Diego to Tijuana, Mexico. 

""Yes, someone in a manic state could do that,"" he said. 

From all accounts Robbins is a down-to-earth family man who takes pride in his profession. The Oakland Raiders said the same pro-bowl center deserted them with the pinnacle of professional football hanging in the balance.  

However, it seems his teammates were the ones that abandoned him. 

Did the fiasco affect the demeanor of the Oakland Raiders on Sunday? Possibly. 

Did it hurt their chance of winning? Probably not. 

Did Robbins' teammates feel sorry for their fallen comrade? 

They do now.