Praise for year of ups, downs

Thinking back on the twists and turns this year, it is hard to believe I ushered it in freezing my ass off on a mountain on the south island of New Zealand. During the course of 2002, I lost 40 pounds, got an eyebrow ring, worked for a senator, found myself a wonderful girlfriend, jumped off a mountain, survived the riots and somehow found myself in a position to grace UW-Madison with articles based on my outlook on the world. Like the Chairman of the Board sang, it was a very good year. 

However, this might not have been a banner year for civilization. My favorite political party took a hit in elections, nations are increasingly hostile toward America and the Pentagon now has better records of my expenditures than I do. We are still stuck in a \war"" seemingly with no end, thousands of gallons of oil are pouring out of a tanker near Spain while authorities fight over blame and people are still blowing each other up because they cannot agree on the how to worship the same god. The environment and economy are suffering and pop music still exists.  

All in all, peace on Earth and goodwill toward humanity might have to wait. 

There are some big thunderclouds but there is a silver lining. America went a year without a terrorist attack on its soil and weapons of mass destruction are still collecting dust. If you are reading this, then you are in a country trying its best to protect your way of life and are attending a fine university where the complexities of the universe are discussed. Perhaps this silver lining might disappear in the next year, so give thanks and breathe a sigh of relief that 2002 ended on a relatively high note. 

After I finish papers and exams I am going to a very special graduation, and then to O'Hare to pick up my twin brother. We will go home, eat home cooking, go to church and bond the way brothers do: in front of ludicrously violent movies and video games. I will hear about my sister's freshman year and get my ass kicked by her in basketball. My parents will make sure I exercise, eat right, stand up straight and do everything else I ignore in Madison. For the next month, I won't be Karl the political science major, resident assistant or student but rather Karl the brother, the son and the boyfriend. I will give thanks I live in a country where I can say what I want and get a newspaper position out of it, and where I do not have to worry about land mines, state-sponsored torture and everything else going on around the world. 

I end the year with one holiday wish: As you work to improve the world, take a moment and appreciate your situation. You have the right and abilities to achieve almost anything and are living in an unprecedented era. Despite its flaws, you live in the greatest country on earth, at the greatest time in history. Like 2001 and 2002, the new year will herald more changes and adventures. Huddling in that sleeping bag on Jan. 1, I would have never expected to do what I've done in the last year and so I await 2003 with anticipation.