DoIT to up security, memory of WiscMail during break

When students return for spring semester, they may notice some changes in the UW-Madison computer network, including increased e-mail storage and enhanced security measures. 

Officials with the Division of Information Technology said students will be allotted twice the amount of storage space in their WiscMail accounts next semester's 100 mb, compared with this semester's 50 mb.  

\We want to get out ahead of the curve and offer 100 before 50 becomes too little,"" said Brian Rust, a communications specialist with DoIT. 

Rust said DoIT wants to offer more e-mail storage so students do not have to worry about running out of space when they get e-mails from classes and organizations. 

The additional storage is just one of several measures DoIT is implementing. According to Rust, another change will be to update student and faculty WiscWorld clients to a version with enhanced security protection. 

""We're looking at phasing over to only using secure e-mail clients,"" said Kimberly Milford, a security administrator at DoIT. ""Basically, we're not going to let passwords go over the Internet in clear text anymore."" 

According to Milford, many students and faculty have been unknowingly using insecure clients for up to a year. Starting this spring, DoIT will encourage students to update their clients to the new password-secure system. 

DoIT will also begin implementing vulnerability scanning measures, which will scan campus addresses for security flaws. If a flaw is discovered, DoIT will work to secure the entire campus from possible viruses, said Jeff Savoy, a DoIT security administrator. 

""It's kind of like driving around in a golf cart looking for open windows on campus,"" he said. ""We don't go in the office and look through the desk drawers, but we look through the open windows."" 

Milford said the new changes will increase information protection for students and faculty on campus. 

""We're definitely moving toward a more secure environment,"" she said.