UW wins back axe

Defense may win games, but don't tell that to the Wisconsin football team. Ignited by senior quarterback Brooks Bollinger and sophomore running back Anthony Davis, the Badgers' offense exploded late in the fourth quarter to recapture Paul Bunyan's Axe and ensure a bowl game as UW beat Minnesota 49-31. 

The lead switched between the teams throughout the game, but with UW ahead 35-31 midway through the last quarter, Davis and sophomore defensive back Jim Leonhard took over. Davis scored two touchdowns in under three minutes, including a 73-yard game-sealer set up by Leonhard's first interception at the Wisconsin 24-yard line. 

Indeed, Davis, Bollinger and Leonhard were the stories of the game. Wisconsin admittedly rode the backs of its quarterback and running back, and the plan worked. Davis rushed for 301 yards--the third best total in UW history--and Bollinger added 112. The Gophers withered in the presence of UW's double-threat attack. 

\We went into the game offensively saying that we'd have to ride Anthony and Brooks and use them both to run the football,"" Head Coach Barry Alvarez said. ""I really thought Brooks competed extremely hard and played really well and Anthony's numbers speak for themselves."" 

Adding to his outstanding season, Leonhard collected his nation-leading ninth and 10th interceptions, breaking UW's 32-year record. Leonhard also rewrote UW history books with his feet, reaching 438 punt return yards for the season, 11 better than former Badger Nick Davis' 1998 total of 427 yards.  

""[It is] unbelievable what Jimmy Leonhard has done,"" Alvarez said. ""The guy's not even on scholarship and he broke two school records today. It's unbelievable what he's accomplished. I told him we're going to give him a scholarship now."" 

From the opening whistle, Wisconsin dominated the rushing game, out-gaining Minnesota by nearly 300 yards. The Gophers, however, were able to exploit the Badgers' weak pass defense, completing 15 passes for 282 yards and one touchdown. 

Though not its best game, the defensive line kept the team's leading rusher, Terry Jackson, to under 100 yards and had several key hurries against Minnesota junior quarterback Asad Abdul-Khaliq. 

""We got to give most of the credit to the offense today,"" sophomore defensive back Scott Starks, said. ""They came out and played to the best of their ability and put a lot of points on the board, which helped us out a lot."" 

Approached as a one-game playoff situation, the seniors' last home game could not have ended any better. Wisconsin reclaimed the axe from Minnesota and made themselves bowl eligible after missing out last year. 

""It meant everything to me,"" Bollinger said. ""I think all seniors want to go out the right way when finishing their last game at Camp Randall.\