Lautenschlager defeats Biskupic in state AG race

In perhaps the tightest statewide race of the night, the battle to replace newly elected governor Jim Doyle as state attorney general, went into the early morning but Outgamie County District attorney Vince Biskupic eventually lost to Democrat Peg Lautenschlager. 

As of press time 97 percent of the votes were tallied, with Lautenschlager, the former U.S. attorney for western Wisconsin receiving 52 percent to Biskupic's 47 percent.  

Lautenschlager entered the race after former front-runner state Sen. Brian Burke, D-Milwaukee, dropped out in May after he was charged with 18 felony counts for illegally using state workers on state time for his campaign. 

Both candidates have said in the past that the scandal played too large a role in the election and prevented them from getting out their stances on other important issues in the race. 

Biskupic held a lead early in the night, but began to trail his opponent as the evening grew later, following the pattern set by the later defeated Gov. Scott McCallum in the gubernatorial race. However, the district attorney picked up enough crucial votes late to force the election into early morning.