Expect high levels of (Smog) this Friday

Besides Pavement, no band from the early '90s was more essential than (Smog) in ushering in the lo-fi sound that dominated the era. Essentially comprised of lead singer/guitarist Bill Callahan and a rotating group of backing musicians, (Smog) recorded their first three albums'including the classic Julius Caesar'in the confines of their own home. As the '90s grew older, Callahan grew up, collaborated with producer Jim O'Rourke and expanded his sound to a more lush and full experience.  

Fleshing out the standard guitar, drums and bass are now horns, piano and pedal steel. Also, while always disarming with subtle humor, Callahan's lyrics have reached depths of intimacy rarely plumbed. Now he has released a sorely-needed new collection, Accumulation: None, an uneven but fulfilling collection of tracks culled from rare EPs, b-sides and demo tapes. Callahan chatted with the Cardinal via e-mail, about \High Fidelity,"" his abundance of guitars and more. 

Where are you while you're typing this?  

In the parking lot of Costume World waiting for my friend to come out. But I don't know if I will recognize her.  

You're touring in support of Accumulation: None but some of those songs are 10, 11 years old. What songs are you playing on the tour?  

A mishmash of the past and future.  

Who's touring with you, band-wise?  

Rich Germer (bass), Beth Yates (keyboards, etc.), Jim White (drums).  

What prompted the release of a b-sides and rarities album?  

Something I'd been thinking about for a year or two, I was just waiting for the right combination in the right sequence. And I wanted to put a certain new song on it, so I was waiting for that, too.  

You've said numerous times that your songs aren't autobiographical. Where do your ideas come from, then?  

Interaction with the world. That's what sustains me. But where they ""come from,"" I really couldn't say. They just come.  

Do you write songs while touring?  

Almost never. There's too much other stuff to do.  

How many guitars do you own?  

One.  

Do you have any idea how your song ""Cold Blooded Old Times"" ended up on the ""High Fidelity"" soundtrack? Perhaps John Cusack's sense of irony?  

One of the writers of the film is a friend of mine and a friend of Drag City. He had a big hand in getting the music together.  

I don't think irony had anything to do with their choice. I think they just liked the song.  

What's your strangest encounter with a celebrity?  

I was in a fancy French hotel on business. There was a knock on the door. I opened it. Gerard Depardieu was leaning up in the doorway, a pirate shirt on, cradling a snifter of cognac. I told him he had the wrong room. The tears that were in his eyes rolled down his cheeks. When I tried to close the door, he forced his way in and locked himself in the bathroom. I called the front desk but they didn't want to disturb ""the Monsieur."" I eventually went to bed. When I woke in the morning, he was at the foot of the bed in a fetal ball, singing ""I no longer sink I ever find my chosen one.""  

Can you explain the significance of the parentheses in your name, and what gave you the idea to add them?  

It means you're supposed to whisper the name. I thought that would generate some excitement, if someone asked you what you were listening to and you whispered the band name. It started as artwork'a way to separate the name of the record from the name of the band. To diminish the importance of the name of the band and thereby increase the importance of the title of the record. And I like the way it looks, aesthetically.  

What do you make of Sigor Ros entitling their new album ()? Are they trying to cop your style?  

I didn't know.  

Biggie or Tupac?  

I missed out on both. What little I've heard of them hasn't done much for me. I like Snoop Dogg and ODB.