Badgers win opener

The Badgers showed an impressive start to their season when they defeated the EA Sports All-Stars 71-52 Wednesday night at the Kohl Center. Despite a sluggish start where the Badgers went zero for six in the opening minutes and a fast start by the All-Stars, UW was able to pull out an interesting win. 

Although the Badgers didn't start any true freshmen in this exhibition game, the young players raised some eyebrows when they did step on the court.  

It wasn't long before Head Coach Bo Ryan put in a true freshman. Freshman guard/forward Alando Tucker got in the game after about three minutes had passed. All the freshmen got a chance to play and gained some experience in playing on a college court.  

\I just wanted to get them all in the game because everyone wanted to play. They wanted to show what they can do,"" Ryan said.  

Tucker had a good game in which he and senior guard Kirk Penney tied for leading scorer on UW, recording 14 points each. Tucker also did a great job on the boards, where he collected eight rebounds. Tucker seemed comfortable in his position, Ryan said.  

""He did some nice things, he had presence and he played with a confidence that showed,"" Ryan said.  

Even though Tucker had a good game, he said he knows this is something he cannot get very excited about.  

""I just wanted to play hard. I can't get too excited after just one game. I am doing whatever I can to contribute and we still have more things to work on,"" Tucker said.  

Penney picked up where he left off last season.  

""I am just trying to get the feel of it again,"" Penney said. 

He went three for six from the three-point line, still proving that he is an offensive threat. 

Sophomore guard Devin Harris was effective as well. Although he had 11 points, he also shined in other areas on the court. Harris was active in getting his team involved, recording four assists. Freshman guard Boo Wade got some valuable time standing in for Harris.  

Freshman forward Ray Nixon was also active and got some loose balls. 

Another spark for the UW was junior guard Freddie Owens. He was able to penetrate to the basket and finish hard. He ended up with 12 points. 

Although the Badgers showed promise, they said they know there are still some things they have to work on, such as turnovers, which plagued the Badgers throughout the game.  

""This is the first game, the All-Stars were pretty physical on the ball and we had to adjust,"" Ryan said.  

Going hard on the glass from the start of the game is another thing that Ryan said needs to be improved. Ryan also said the Badgers, especially the centers, need to improve on finishing up under the basket.  

Although the Badgers did a great job defensively they could not contain Sergio McClain and Marvin Rodgers on the EA Sports All-Stars. McClain, who played for Illinois during his college years, had 16 points. Penney called him a ""great defender."" Rodgers, formerly of Wright State, contributed 15 points.  

Foul trouble plagued the All-Stars throughout the game. 

""They were the best team we have played and this is our fourth game,"" All-Stars Head Coach Price Johnson said. ""They know how to run the system and the players play hard for Ryan. He is the best coach in the state.""  

The Badgers were able to pull off an impressive victory but they know this is just the beginning. Adjustments must be made and the confidence level has to remain high as the Badgers look to have another winning season.