5 Things to watch

Sophomore running back Anthony Davis was stabbed in the left thigh last weekend and quarterbacks senior Brooks Bollinger and junior Jim Sorgi were injured in the Iowa game. The UW coaching staff is quiet regarding the status of all three. 

The quarterback injuries paved the way for freshman Owen Daniels. Though the rookie did not see enough action to warrant any serious evaluation, his reputation as a high school superstar has many interested to see what he can do.  

If the coaches decide the usual starters cannot play, Daniels and up-and-coming freshman running back Dwayne Smith will take their place.  

Wisconsin's offensive line has been continually criticized this season, especially since their performance against Northern Illinois when they gave up 10 sacks. 

Though the Illini blitz capability is not renown, the Badgers have performed at a level that has fans worrying nonetheless. 

The Fighting Illini feature one of the higher-rated Big Ten linebackers in senior Jerry Schumacher. With this national defensive player of the year nominee on the field, the Wisconsin offensive line has no cause for comfort. 

Additionally, another poor performance by the front five could have a more devastating impact this week than any other, due to the situation at quarterback.  

With quarterbacks Brooks Bollinger and Jim Sorgi recovering from injuries, it is pivotal that the offensive line prevent them from being hurried all day. If freshman Owen Daniels makes his first start, consistent Illinois sacks may ruin what composure the rookie has.  

If each team starts out slow on offense and fails to generate many points, the battle could come down to special teams scoring. The most probable Badger to have an impact on special teams is sophomore return man Jim Leonhard, who leads the conference in average return yards. Furthermore, Illinois' punters are ranked lowest in the Big Ten in yards per punt.  

The Illini punt coverage unit provides no help and is partly the reason for their team having the lowest net average per punt in the conference allowing teams to get great field position often.  

After climbing the national rankings with a 5-0 start, the Badgers have degenerated into a middle-of-the-pack team, losing four of their last five. A bowl trip is not out of the equation, however, as Wisconsin is only one win away from bowl eligibility.  

As a result, players morale may not exactly be on a high note. Team leaders Bollinger, Sorgi and Davis were all injured last weekend, both on the field and off. Roster spots are now increasingly being filled with inexperienced freshman who, traditionally, do not deal with defeat as well as upperclassmen.  

The effect of senior wide receiver Lee Evans' arrest this weekend for marijuana possession should not be overlooked either. In his absence this season Evans took on a leadership role for several Badgers. It is still unknown how this arrest will factor in emotionally for the UW.  

The Illini have used both junior quarterbacks Jon Beutjer and Dustin Ward behind center this year. Beutjer, the intended heir of Kurt Kittner, has been replaced by Ward more than once this year due to lackluster performances. 

Ward was given the start against Penn State last weekend but was pulled in the third quarter after failing to lead his team to the endzone. Beutjer scored a touchdown and managed a late-game rally, meaning that he has the edge to start in Madison this weekend. 

If Head Coach Ron Turner is forced to shuffle his passers, then the Illini aerial attack will suffer. Forcing Illinois into running a one-dimensional offense will be of great advantage to the Badgers.