Zinn speaks on issues at state book festival

Addressing a full house Thursday evening at the Orpheum Theatre, 211 State St., Professor Howard Zinn spoke about war, democracy and how one can negate the other. 

Zinn has been a driving force behind a new interpretation of America's past, heralded by the 1980 release of \A People's History of the United States."" This book was instrumental in shaping a new consciousness of the nation by relaying the stories of marginalized people and oppressed minorities. As a radical historian, social activist and writer, his words have reached a broad audience and permeated national thought. 

""We live in a selectively democratic society,"" Zinn declared, ""At certain times it is not easy to distinguish from a police state for the poor and the imprisoned."" 

He narrowed his focus, taking on the current mindset of a nation preparing for combat.  

""What happens in times of war is that the President and a small group of people make a decision to go to war,"" Zinn said. ""Meanwhile Congress will sit back and watch it happen while the Supreme Court ignores the unconstitutionality of it all.""  

""When an American destroyer is assaulted or a barracks in Lebanon is attacked, nobody bothers to ask, 'What are these military forces doing there?'"" 

Zinn turned to the shape of democracy and its questionable roots. He stated that the nation was not founded without class as a divisive element. While the Revolution did not turn the class-based society of early America to a democracy, it did settle the differences temporarily. 

""Democracy was not Valley Forge or Saratoga-it was when the farmers came together after the war in Shay's Rebellion. When there were 1000's of farmers at the courthouses; that was democracy,"" Zinn stated. 

Despite the topics and understated seriousness of his speech, Zinn came across with an easy sense of humor and a quick smile. His presentation brought hearty laughter when he spoke against those in power. 

""I'm not going into the Bush arguments. Don't make me do that."" Answering a question from the audience concerning a pivotal progressive Wisconsin politician he asserted, ""I cannot argue with [late Progressive Sen. Robert] La Follette."" 

Zinn has achieved notoriety not only for his prolific scholarship, but also for his accessible writing. His 20 books are widely read and frequently referenced. 

To address the ""supposed Iraqi threat"" Zinn pointed the accusations back at the United States.  

""We have 20,000 nuclear weapons and are the only nation to have actually used any,"" he said. ""A war starts and you never know how it's going to end.""  

The civilian cost of war came up with frightening immediacy. Zinn pointed out that every war since WWII has had a higher and higher percentage of civilian death. The deaths of an indeterminate amount of Iraqi civilians would be a foregone conclusion but, Zinn noted, most likely ignored. 

The focus of Zinn's speech turned back to the situation of politics in the United States. Focusing on the events of the past year, he posed the question, ""Is not war terrorism on a large scale?"" If we really believe that all people are created equal, we cannot go to war."" 

He closed his speech with a keen eye upon the relationship between the flaws of this nation with those overseas.  

""Is there a correlation between the violent crimes in this country and what our country does with its bombs and guns throughout the world?"" Zinn asked. 

John Laffler, a UW-Madison senior, commented on Zinn. 

""He is an inspiration to a lot of people,"" he said. ""I think of him as the unformed voice of a lot of people on campus.\