Women's soccer to square off against Redbirds

The Wisconsin women's soccer team (4-4-2 Big Ten, 9-7-3 overall) plays their final regular season game of the year this Friday on Senior Day here in Madison. They'll take on the Illinois State Redbirds (5-1-1 Missouri Valley Conference, 11-4-3 overall). 

Three UW senior starters will be playing in their final regular season game this Friday: forward Jessica Wolff, midfielder Lauren Schmidt, and goalkeeper Kelly Conway. All three have contributed in huge ways for the Badgers for their entire careers and they will be sorely missed next year. 

\To me it's a recognition of these three that have spent four great years with this program,"" Head Coach Dean Duerst said. ""It's one of those things in which it's sad to see them go, but it also means that they had a great, rewarding experience here."" 

The Badgers had a flash of the future last weekend that may help to ease the pain of the departing seniors. Sophomore forward Amy Vermeulen was named Big Ten offensive player of the week for tallying an impressive seven points on two goals and three assists in two games this past weekend. Included in her tally was the game winner against the University of Minnesota and the opening goal against UW-GB.  

""It doesn't even feel like I did very much,"" Vermeulen said. ""It was a total team effort. We had a great game against Minnesota and everyone just put forth everything."" 

Wisconsin will need all the weapons they have on Friday to defend against a very potent Illinois State team. The Redbirds opened the season 7-0 and recently played to a 1-1 draw against the Illinois Fighting Illini. Senior forward Annie Wayland is leading the Redbirds in scoring this season with 18 points, including 4 game-winning goals. 

""They're a strong foe,"" Coach Duerst said. ""They upset us last year, but now we have them at our home field late in the year. But these seniors, I want the victory for them. They deserve it. They've earned it with just the kind of leadership they've had."" 

There's no doubt that the Badgers' squad believes they have to come out fired up for this game. Trying to make a statement for the NCAA tournament committee, an impressive showing against a strong regional opponent would definitely be a plus. 

""I think we're getting a lot of opportunities, but we've got to keep putting them away,"" Coach Duerst said. ""We've gotta just show the determination ... Coaches always use the clich?? 'Defend first and that will give you your offensive opportunities' and now we're getting those parts to start working together.""