Women's soccer to face Gophers and Phoenix

The Wisconsin Badgers' women's soccer team (3-4-2 Big Ten, 7-7-3 overall) looks to end their season with a bang starting this weekend. They take on the Minnesota Golden Gophers (1-8-0 Big Ten, 6-9-1 overall) Friday in Minneapolis and then travel to Green Bay to battle the UW-Green Bay Phoenix (1-1-2 Horizon, 4-7-2 overall) Sunday.  

The weekend is full of rivalry for the Badgers this weekend, starting with a border war against Minnesota. The game marks an important Big Ten matchup for the Badgers which could significantly improve their seeding in the Big Ten tournament. 

\There's always been a rivalry with Minnesota women's soccer,"" Head Coach Dean Duerst said. ""They're an older program that's been around for a long time. There are [also] numerous Minnesota players on our team, and they're ready to go."" 

Wisconsin's game against UW-Green Bay Sunday will give the Badgers a chance to earn final bragging rights for the year. The team already beat UW-Milwaukee 1-0 Oct. 13 and looks to finish off the in-state schedule against the Phoenix. 

""Anytime we play an in-state team, it's like you've got to prove yourselves,"" Duerst said. ""There's just something more on the line, kinda in-state bragging rights."" 

Wisconsin hopes to get back on track this weekend after dropping two games to Ohio State and Penn State last weekend. The game against Minnesota marks their last regular season Big Ten game of the season. The Badgers hope they can finish the schedule with a win, and to gain some momentum going into the conference tournament. 

""Immediately, our first thoughts are really to focus on Minnesota and getting our fourth Big Ten win, getting us in a position that really matters for seeding and placement in the conference tournament,"" Duerst said. ""As a team, we set a goal to go 3-0 and finish the season with 10 wins. We need these three wins."" 

The losses last weekend hurt, but the Badgers are already looking past them. If the Badgers can get scoring from junior midfielder Jenny Kundert and sophomore midfielder Sarah Capel, as well as solid goalkeeping from senior captain goalkeeper Kelly Conway.s Wisconsin should roll into the postseason in a decent position for success. As it is, the women are smelling wins already. 

""They're angry with the losses, but they're determined,"" Duerst said. ""They're thirsting, hungry for victory, which is how you want them.""