UW basketball warms up

Winning a Big Ten Conference Championship, having new Head Coach Bo Ryan named Big Ten Coach of the Year and advancing to the second round of the NCAA Tournament were all part of a  ebuilding"" year for the men's basketball team. But that was last year, so now what? 

The University of Wisconsin men's basketball team looks to start the 2002-'03 season the way last year's season ended. Last season, under Ryan, the Badgers compiled a 11-5 conference record (18-12 overall) and earned their first Big Ten Championship since 1947, sharing it with Illinois, Indiana and Ohio State. It was the most successful season by any first year coach in Wisconsin basketball history.  

Last year's season came as a surprise to many. With only two seniors on the squad, guard Travon Davis and forward Charlie Wills, the Badgers were picked to finish 10th in the Big Ten. Instead, Wisconsin finished with a 12-1 record at the Kohl Center and was the only team in the Big Ten to defeat all of the teams in the conference. Current owners of an 11-game home winning streak, the Badgers' only home loss last year came in double-overtime to Temple 70-67, Dec. 3. They were 5-3 against Top 25 teams with key victories against Illinois, Marquette, Indiana and an overtime win over Ohio State.  

This year, the team is led by senior guard Kirk Penney, who is coming off an incredible junior year. Last season, Penney averaged 15.1 points per game and received First-Team All Big Ten honors. During the summer, Penney stayed in shape by representing New Zealand in the World Basketball Championships and is ready to go.  

""Kirk's got all the tools now, he's worked this summer on things that we've asked,"" Ryan said. ""He can guard multiple positions from the other team and that's always good.""  

Being the only senior on a very young team, all eyes turn to Penney to be the leader.  

""It is a young team but it is similar to last year,"" Penney said. ""When the guys are working as hard as they are, it's great.""  

Sophomore guard Devin Harris said of Penney, ""Kirk's the man, I mean he's got the most experience and he is the leader right now."" 

Penney is eager for the season to begin, saying, ""There is a lot of ability [on this team] and the young guys are coming in and playing hard everyday at practice. That's all we can do right now, do whatever we are being told and try to do it effectively."" 

Another player the Badgers will look to this season is Harris. In 2001-02, Harris had one of the best years for a freshman in UW history, starting all 32 games and leading the team in minutes with 34.2 minutes per game. He also averaged 12.3 points per game and led the team in both steals (43) and blocks (18). This season Harris will play point guard instead of shooting guard 

Both Harris and Penney will look to help out the younger guys like freshman guard Boo Wade from Milwaukee Vincent High School and freshman forward Ray Nixon from Dominican High School in Whitefish Bay, Wis.  

""I put my two cents in when I can,"" Harris said, ""but it's all Kirk.""  

Harris commented that the younger guys have shown a lot of talent and that they are going to help the team out a lot this year. For the Badgers to play well this season, they also need junior guard Freddie Owens to step it up, especially as their defensive specialist. 

""I don't think I have a bigger role this year, but whatever needs to be done to help us pull out victories, I am willing to do,"" Owens said. ""I set my expectations high, but we have to take it one game at a time.\