Soccer kicks off road trip to Bloomington

The Wisconsin men's soccer team (1-1 Big Ten, 7-4-1 overall) travels to Bloomington, Ind., this weekend to battle perennial Big Ten favorite No. 4 Indiana (3-0 Big Ten, 8-1-2 overall). As good as Indiana is, the Badgers said they are optimistic heading into Friday's game. 

\We're trying to keep our confidence level pretty high,"" sophomore midfielder David Martinez said. ""People going into Indiana are feeling a little low, a little unsure of themselves because it's Indiana. They're scary. ...We have to go in there and play our game."" 

""We're not looking to just have a good performance against Indiana,"" sophomore forward Nick Van Sicklen said. ""We're looking for a 'W'."" 

The Badgers are coming off an impressive 2-1 win last weekend against No. 21 Penn State. Their win over a ranked opponent came after losing three out of their last four games. The win gives the Badgers a momentum boost after having lost recent games to lower-quality teams. 

""I think the guys felt we've dropped a couple games we shouldn't have,"" UW Head Coach Jeff Rohrman said. ""We need to win a couple of big games here in October. We have a tough schedule. ... That's a good start to it."" 

The shining star for the Badgers last weekend was senior forward/midfielder Valentine Anozie. Anozie, a co-captain for the Badgers, had two assists in the game, and was named last week's Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week. It was the third Player of the Week award for the Badgers this year, but the first in the offensive category. Anozie's breakout came at a perfect time for both Wisconsin and Anozie. 

""I think [Anozie's] been disappointed with how he's been playing lately, and he came out and proved what type of player he is, one of the best in the Big Ten,"" Van Sicklen said. ""It didn't surprise any of us how he played. I think we should expect more play like that from him to come."" 

Wisconsin will need Anozie, as well as the rest of the team, to be on the very top of their games this weekend. The Hoosiers have a very talented team, led by last year's Big Ten Player of the Year, senior forward Pat Noonan. The Hoosiers also sport reigning co-Freshman  

of the Year forward Mike Ambersley.  

Adding to the mix is sophomore forward Ned Grabavoy, who was named to the College Soccer News Team of the Week with his two-goal performance last weekend. Grabavoy had a game-winning goal versus Butler as well as  

a goal versus Michigan last weekend. 

""They certainly have their share of potent attackers,"" Rohrman said. ""We're just gonna have to play safe, play smart, respect them. ... Hopefully we'll be able to contain them. They're gonna get their share of shots, and we have to be sure that we're ready to snuff those out."" 

The players said they also know Indiana is a talented team to watch out for. 

""I know their forwards and midfielders are superb,"" Martinez said. ""They're awesome, they're all-Americans and some are National team players. It's [going to] be tough to contain those guys, but we're trying to work on that this week."" 

Although the Hoosiers are a dominant team, the Badgers know they have a chance for a win Friday. Though they've lost some games they perhaps shouldn't have, they've played well enough at other times this year to beat them, as was evident last weekend. A win is not too far-fetched an idea for Wisconsin this weekend. Rohrman said this weekend is especially important for the team.  

""I'm looking for a win,"" Rohrman said. ""I think we're capable of it, otherwise I wouldn't even say it. We respect everyone, we don't fear anyone. ... It doesn't get much bigger than this.""