NCAA may change academic requirements for Division I student athletes

The National Collegiate Athletic Association proposed a packet of changes Tuesday that would drastically change academic standards for Division I student athletes. The association's board of directors will make a decision on the measure next week, possibly putting the changes into effect by Aug. 1, 2003. 

Currently, athletic recruits at Division I schools must have a composite SAT score of 820 and a 2.5 grade point average in core high school classes. However, students with stronger SAT scores can compensate for an inadequate GPA.  

The measures presented by Tuesday's panel would allow students with lower SAT scores to compensate with a higher GPA. 

\Using 20 years of research data, we have established that grade-point in these core classes is just as important as test scores in predicting academic success,"" said Wallace Renfro, NCAA academic eligibility and public affairs liaison. ""Colleges have been very supportive of the measure as an attempt to boost graduation rates for student-athletes."" 

The plan would also force athletes to finish degree requirements at a faster pace. At present, student athletes are required to complete 25 percent of their degree program by the beginning of their junior year, 50 percent by their fourth year and 75 percent by their fifth year. The proposal would increase these milestones to 40, 60 and 80 percent respectfully. In addition, another change would reduce the number of remedial credits that could be applied to the academic progress standards to six from 12. 

Steve Malchow, assistant athletics director at UW-Madison, said he believes that if GPA is a strong indicator of future success, the policy is worthy of consideration. 

""[GPA] is certainly a factor you want to emphasize,"" Malchow said. ""I think you have to be in favor of that."" 

While the potential changes can initially be interpreted as a loosening of standards, the NCAA maintains that the measure is supported by research data and promotes a drive towards graduation over athletic eligibility, termed ""progress toward degree."" 

Malchow said he thinks the proposed changes would have a minimal effect on UW-Madison. 

""I think our institution as a whole is a bit higher than [the NCAA's] baseline standards. Certainly you can make appeals for kids who fall short, but you don't want to make a habit of that,"" Malchow said. 

Mike Eaves, head hockey coach at UW-Madison said he agrees. 

""I think with our athletes in particular, they all have a pretty strong background, so I don't think that's going to be affecting us as much,"" Eaves said. ""Here at the university, where we have such high standards, you can't have a lot of kids that struggle... you've got to have kids that have that ability to do pretty well in school.\