Grant makes stadium renovation possible

After being halted for a year for economic reasons, the Camp Randall renovations will continue as planned, thanks to recent donations to the project. 

UW-Madison Chancellor John Wiley announced Wednesday that the Kellner family is donating $10 million to the university, with $6 million going to Camp Randall renovations and the remainder allocated to education. 

\There are several other large gifts that are not ready to be announced as of yet, so we'll be continuing to secure these larger gifts,"" said UW-Madison Athletics Department Director Pat Richter. 

According to Al Fish, associate athletic director for capital projects at UW-Madison, the renovations' budget is $83.7 million, cut by $20 million after cancelling some initial renovation plans such as adding 22 rows in the north end zone.  

The renovations will still include wider concourses, additional restrooms, concessions and elevators and improving the accessibility of the stadium for the disabled, Fish said. 

""Most of the seating will not be impacted, but there will be an elimination of the first five rows around the entire facility,"" said Vince Sweeney, associate athletic director for external relations at UW-Madison. 

In an effort to produce more revenue, suites and premium club seats are also being sold to fans. Sweeney said 300 more club seats went on the market Wednesday. 

""Right now we can handle the project given the current status if we sell our suites and club seats, but we will continue to try to raise more dollars to reduce their obligation,"" Richter said. 

Other improvements include a new video replay scoreboard, new lights and a new sound system, Fish said. 

The renovations are set to start in spring of 2003 with hopes for completion by 2005.  

""There will be some inconveniences, but construction will go on through the course of the next two and a half seasons,"" Sweeney said. ""Therefore, we'll have to take it season by season, but there's no plans to disrupt the seating areas."" 

The renovations must now be approved by the Board of Regents and the state.