Expanded ban infringes on smokers' rights

Much has been made of the dangers of smoking and particularly the consequences of second-hand smoke. In recent years, cities have effectively prevented smoking in public areas and a number of private facilities as well. 

In 1992, a city ordinance was passed that banned smoking in select restaurants, determined by the percentage of their revenue gained by alcohol sales. Tonight the Madison City Council will deliberate on the pros and cons of an even stricter smoking ban that will also prohibit smoking in a number of popular local dining establishments like the Nitty Gritty Restaurant & Bar, 223 N. Frances St., Nick's Restaurant, 226 State St. and State Street Brats, 603 State St. 

While we agree with the merits of the existing ban on smoking in restaurants'which helps protect the public health of minors as well as adults'we see the stricter smoking ban proposal as an invasion of the rights of business owners and adults that frequent such establishments and knowingly consent to the risks of fellow consumers' inclinations. 

The previous ordinance serves a legitimate public health purpose by blocking the consequences of second-hand smoke in restaurants, which are universally attended by both adults and minors, many of whom do not smoke. The enhanced ban, however, would infringe upon the rights of a consenting crowd that attends bars for a specific purpose. 

As social smoking has become relegated to increasingly limited arenas, we encourage council members to leave smoking regulations in area bars to the inclination of business owners and the consumers affected.