Council prolongs smoking-ban decision

The Madison City Council once again delayed action Tuesday night on a proposed smoking ban in area bars and restaurants where food sales are greater than 50 percent. Although Ald. Matt Sloan, District 13, the council president, met with representatives from the restaurant industry and public health groups in order to reach a compromise, the council body voted to revisit the issue Nov. 19.  

\As difficult as this is, we're making progress,"" Sloan said.  

Susan Breitbach, owner of Fyfe's Corner Bistro, 1344 E. Washington Ave., is a participant in the smoking ordinance workgroup. 

""Our meetings have been thoughtful and, often, lively,"" she said as council and audience members chuckled. 

Council members and public speakers agreed the proposed ban, which would affect establishments including the Nitty Gritty, 223 N. Frances St., needed more study. According to Nitty Gritty owner Marsh Shapiro, if the 50 percent rule passes, the restaurant may become classified as a bar, thus barring underagers from the establishment.  

""There should be some more study, more room for compromise,"" he said. ""I don't want to be a tavern. I want to be a restaurant."" 

The council also moved forward on several tenants' rights issues.  

Landlords may no longer force tenants to pay for carpet cleaning'or shampoo their carpets themselves'at the end of their leases. Another ordinance passed by the council made it illegal for landlords to charge more than 5 percent in late fees on discounted rent if, for example, a tenant pays their rent in advance.  

Near the end of Tuesday's meeting, the council also agreed to protest the U.S. PATRIOT Act, a law which allows the federal government to interfere with several civil rights in order to fight terrorism. Despite the fact that several alders said they felt the city had no business dealing with a national issue, the council decided to present state and national leaders with a protest resolution.  

According to the council's resolution, Madison will not passively accept the PATRIOT Act, which council members said threatens civil rights and liberties.