Buckeyes preparing for BCS bid

Expectations were high for the Ohio State Buckeyes entering the year. However, there were still some areas of the team that needed addressing. The backfield was very inexperienced as well as the cornerback position. The starting quarterback was also gone from last year. Still, the Buckeyes were picked to finish high in the Big Ten this year. 

So far, Head Coach Jim Tressel's Buckeyes have met, and largely exceeded, most expectations. Ohio State is undefeated so far this year, and they have earned a No. 4 ranking in the nation in both the AP and ESPN/Coaches' polls. Their schedule hasn't exactly been a pushover either. The Buckeyes beat Texas Tech and Washington State, two teams with Heisman-caliber quarterbacks, by 21 and 18 points respectively. They also crushed San Jose State, who in turn beat defending Big Ten champion Illinois, by an astounding 43 points in their homecoming game. 

Possibly the biggest reason for Ohio State's success has been sensational freshman running back Maurice Clarett. One of the most recruited running backs in the country, Clarett is now leading the Big Ten in rushing, already having compiled 847 yards rushing. He also has an amazing 13 rushing touchdowns this season.  

\He can take a game over,"" Badgers Head Coach Barry Alvarez said. ""He's mature enough and physical enough and has the ability as a true freshman you see where he takes games over."" 

Not only does Clarett lead the conference in rushing yards in touchdowns. He also leads the Big Ten in yards per carry, and he leads all Big Ten players, regardless of position, in scoring with 90 points. 

Clarett definitely is not the only offensive threat the Buckeyes have. Junior quarterback Craig Krenzel is one of the most efficient in the Big Ten. Though he doesn't have huge numbers in passing yardage or touchdowns, Krenzel is second in the conference in quarterback rating and first in completion percentage. It also helps that he has a stacked group of wide receivers to throw to. Junior wide receiver Michael Jenkins was a dangerous receiver last year and has only improved so far this year with a better signal-caller at the helm. 

Not to be overlooked is the Buckeye defense. With eight returning starters, including the entire defensive line, Ohio State has only given up an average of about 14.9 points per game. Star senior strong safety Mike Doss, who contemplated an early entry into the NFL draft, is just one star on a defense full of stars. 

""Their defense is very good,"" Alvarez said. ""Doss is everything he is built to be ... [also] their linebacker is one of the better ones I've seen in a long time."" 

The linebacker Alvarez is talking about is more than likely senior linebacker Matt Willhelm who is 12th in the conference with 56 total tackles. He adds to a very strong run defense that gives up only 68.4 yards per game. The Buckeye defense has not allowed a 100-yard rusher all year, and they held the entire San Jose State team to a total of two yards rushing. 

Ohio State also has one of the most sound kicking games in the Big Ten. Although a good college kicker is a rare commodity these days, the Buckeyes have found one in sophomore placekicker Mike Nugent. Nugent is third in the Big Ten in scoring. He is perfect in field goals for the year and would be perfect in overall kicking if it weren't for one missed extra point. Nugent is also perfect in kicks over 40 yards with his longest field goal being 51 yards. 

Ohio State's balanced effort as a team this year has made them one of the most dominant teams in the nation. Though they have a tough road ahead of them, they could very well be staring down at the rest of the Big Ten by the end of the season.