Apples in Stereo keep heads bobbing

(SpinART) 

Everybody knows less equals more. Just ask Woody Guthrie, or Miller Lite, or Ernest Hemingway. And perhaps one of these luminaries finally clued in the Apples in Stereo, as their fifth release, The Velocity of Sound, is their most straightforward and consequently best album to date.  

Their last effort, The Discovery of a World Inside the Moone, was awash in synthesizers, horns and other sonic clutter. This everything and the kitchen sink approach occasionally worked with great results, but more frequently failed to gel and faltered under its own cartoonish ambitions. Then keyboardist Chris McDuffie scaled down his role in the band and they suddenly became a four-piece.  

Lucky for the listener. The result is a much more guitar-heavy, straight ahead pop album that consistently engages despite the lack of \innovation."" Robert Schneider again proves his ability to write melodies that just won't let go, and drummer Hilarie Sidney's two tracks are above par as well. They adapt to the loss of a member by focusing more on distorted guitar, but the occasional synthesizer and studio effect pop up, all the more appreciated now that the listener isn't beaten over the head with them.  

The best tracks, however, still channel the crucial pop bands of the '60s and '70s. Imagine the Beach Boys if Brian Wilson was into the Pixies and Mike Love had a sinus infection. That's a pretty good representation of where the Apples are at right now, especially on the album closer, ""She's Telling Lies.""  

The lyrics veer close to inconsequential, but Schneider's delivery does not. He craftily spins his voice in and around the catchy hooks. On ""Mystery,"" he sings ""You know I see the mystery between you and me/ With such clarity it blows me away./ You know that we've got history between you and me/ And I don't want to see us throw it away."" Nothing spectacular, but combined with a tremendous melody, it forms one of the most enjoyable songs of the year. 

Before, Apples in Stereo songs, while occasionally stellar, were just as often annoying and over the top. Now they've streamlined the approach, resulting in this 28-minute album. The length is a little troubling, but there's nothing wrong with just listening to it again. The format of the pop song is inherently disposable, and the Apples are no different, but Robert Schneider and company will be stuck in the listener's head for some time.