5 Things To Watch Against Ohio State

Look for Ohio State to get the ball to freshman tailback Maurice Clarett on most of the team's running plays as the Buckeyes' offense revolves around the freshman sensation.  

He has accounted for roughly 29 percent of the team's offensive output this season, including half of the squads rushing yards. 

Clarett is coming off an 18-carry, 132-yard performance in a 50-7 rout of San Jose State in which he scored three touchdowns.  

But not only did he have a productive day on the filed, his performance served as vindication on a personal level. After fumbling three times the week before against Northwestern, he received criticism from his coaches.  

It was clear he got the message. 

\I was told to protect the ball. My teammates told me to protect the ball, that was it,"" he told Sports Illustrated. 

The Heisman Trophy hopeful and the Big Ten's leading rusher with 845 yards has quickly established himself as one of the premier running backs in the nation. 

Expect a very angry Wisconsin defense to take the field against the Buckeyes. After holding Indiana's offense to 10 points through three quarters last week, the unit made inexperienced quarterback Gibran Hamdan (11-14, 155 yards) look like Brett Favre in the final period as a 29-10 advantage turned into a 32-29 deficit that likely cost the Badgers a shot at the conference title. 

The defense allowed the Hoosiers to gain 166 of their 405 total yards, and it also allowed 22 unanswered points to a team that ranks dead-last in total offense. The Hoosiers had no trouble moving the chains in the clutch. They converted all five of their third down situations. 

""Defensively, we couldn't make a play,"" Wisconsin head coach Barry Alvarez told the Wisconsin State Journal. 

Can Ohio State junior quarterback Craig Krenzel win a game on his own? Although the Buckeyes lead the Big Ten in passing average per attempt at 9.2, Krenzel, like his predecessor, Steve Bellisari, hasn't been asked to win games on a weekly basis. 

Ohio State's offense ranks fifth in the conference averaging 435.9 yards per game thanks in part to their power running game (240.1 yards, second in Big Ten). 

On the other hand, the Buckeyes rank last in pass attempts (149), 10th in completions and ninth in passing yards per game (195.7).  

How will Krenzel respond to a situation in which he is asked to lead the team to victory? It remains to be seen. 

Look for the Badgers to attack Ohio State's pass defense. Even though opponents have had little success rushing the football against the Buckeyes, they have carved up their defense for big gains with consistency. 

Ohio State is only allowing 51.3 yards on the ground, including a measly 2.3 yards per rush. But the pass defense ranks 10th in the Big Ten allowing 2923.2 yards per game. 

The unit has been further depleted by the loss of starting cornerback junior Richard McNutt for the season. He was regarded as one of the best players on defense. 

Not only can't Wisconsin stop anybody or protect big leads of late, they also can't seem to stay healthy. 

As many as seven key players were either inactive or in and out of the lineup against the Hoosiers.  

Junior linebacker Jeff Mack, sophomore tight end Bob Docherty and senior receiver Lee Evans did not play Saturday. Meanwhile, freshman tailback Anthony Davis, sophomore' receiver Darrin Charles, cornerback Scott Starks and safety Jim Leonhard either played in pain or sustained injuries during the game. 

If Wisconsin is to have a chance to upset the heavily-favored Buckeyes Saturday, the team has to get healthy.