When the lights go out...

Freshman wide receiver Jonathon Orr lit up the University of Nevada-Las Vegas (0-1 overall) defense with seven catches for 150 yards and a touchdown before the lights went out at Sam Boyd Stadium, giving the Wisconsin Badgers (2-0 overall) a 27-7 victory. 

A car collided with a transformer during the game, cutting the power in the stadium and prematurely ending Saturday night's action with 7:41 left in the fourth quarter. 

\It was definitely weird having the lights go out like that,"" Orr said. ""It was even dark in the locker room."" 

Though the game ended early, it was enough for Orr to set a UW single game receiving record for a freshman. However, Orr still thinks there are aspects of his game he needs to improve on. 

""I guess overall I had a pretty decent game,"" Orr said, ""but I did make mistakes this past game. A lot of the little things I need to work on. My blocking could be a lot better."" 

""[Orr] put himself in good position and he ran good routes,"" Head Coach Barry Alvarez said in a press conference Monday. 

Orr was not the only member of the team who did well. The Badger defense recovered three fumbles and intercepted two passes against UNLV, amounting to nine turnovers in the past two games. 

""I have no complaints of the defense,"" Alvarez said."" They played with confidence. They're being productive. The turnovers they've created have been outstanding. I see tremendous effort."" 

Complaints can be raised about the Badgers' kicking game, though. Sophomore kicker Mike Allen made one field goal in four attempts, much to the disappointment of coaches and fans alike. 

""Something has to be corrected,"" Alvarez said. 

Junior kicker Scott Campbell made a 42-yard field goal in his lone attempt just seconds before the lights went out. 

""I think [Campbell] earned the right [to kick field goals],"" said Alvarez. ""I thought he had a really good look in his eye. He was consistent on kickoffs. He kicked that last field goal and though it wasn't protected very well he kicked it and as of right now he will be our kicker."" 

Other than Campbell's fourth quarter field goal, all scoring took place in the second quarter. After recovering a fumble deep in UNLV territory, senior quarterback Brooks Bollinger hit Orr for a 37-yard touchdown. 

Four minutes later in the game, Wisconsin made a UNLV turnover work for them. Bollinger hit sophomore tight end Bob Docherty from eight yards out to make the score 14-0. 

Allen hit his lone field goal of the game from 43 yards out, putting the Badgers up 17-0 after 24 minutes of play. 

The next offensive drive for the Badgers featured junior Jim Sorgi at quarterback and freshman running back Dwayne Smith. Sorgi went two for two passing for 34 yards, while Smith, in his first collegiate action, had 38 yards on seven carries and a touchdown to cap off the series. 

UNLV finally got on the board with under a minute left in the first half with a 15-yard touchdown run by senior running back Joe Haro. The Running Rebels went into halftime down 17, 24-7. 

The lone second half score was Campbell's 42-yard field goal, which came as a result of a nine-play, 47-yard drive that left the ball 25 yards short of the endzone.