Jim Dayton

UW becomes Sept. 11 memoir

As Wednesday marked the one year anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, UW-Madison planned a variety of programs and displays intended to facilitate reflection and remembrance. Students expressed appreciation of the balance the university provided between commemoration of the events and giving everything perspective. 

\All of the events seem appropriate. It's all a matter of letting people reflect and remember in their own way,"" Bryan Murphy, a UW-Madison graduate student, said. 

Doris Ng, a UW-Madison senior, shared a similar opinion.  

""It seems like many people were taking time to remember in their own way on their own time, so the preparations done by the university could only further that,"" Ng said. 

Events Wednesday on the UW-Madison campus included a reading of names on Library Mall, bell tolls marking the times of attack on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and the crash of Flight 93 in Pennsylvania, a candlelight vigil and a program for reflection and remembrance. 

Bryan Gadow, a UW-Madison junior and chair of Associated Students of Madison, spoke at Wednesday's program for reflection and remembrance. He said he felt that UW-Madison did an excellent job preparing commemorative activities for Sept. 11. 

""I felt that everything was really tastefully done. It was good to see that, and I know that the chancellor echoed that same sentiment,"" Gadow said. 

Throughout the day, remembrance went beyond Library Mall, and into the classrooms as well. 

""In all of my classes, the anniversary of September 11th has been addressed. It's a way to reflect and better understand everything about what everyone is feeling,"" Melissa Burke, a UW-Madison senior, said. 

Many students felt the solemn atmosphere on campus was a nice alternative to other venues working to commemorate the events. 

""The national news coverage was overkill, but the university did everything in a very respectful way. It was nice to be able to reflect and remember without having to deal with all of the graphic images the media was providing,"" Rebecca Halperin, a UW-Madison freshman, said. 

Though media coverage of the first anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks was more excessive than some people would have liked, UW-Madison students agree that some sort of remembrance and reflection will always be important. 

""There is no way that these are events that should be forgotten entirely,"" Alyssa Kesler, a UW-Madison sophomore, said.