Rock out and about around town

As befitting a progressive mid-size college town, Madison has a number of unique and appealing music venues only a hop, skip or a $7 cab ride away from the campus area. These span the gap from university cafeterias (Club 770) to wine bars (Cafe Montmartre), and the music represented is just as varied. In that spirit, here is an overview of the some of the best clubs around town. 

Union South 

Sometimes the best things in life are free, and when it comes to live music venues, the best free shows can be found at Club 770 in Union South. The events featured at Club 770 are not only free of charge, but they are also free of alcohol. This means that the doors are always open to all ages. However, the older bar crowd may be turned off by the dry atmosphere.  

Admission prices and clientele can be a factor in one's experience at any venue, but when it comes right down to it, the quality of performers is what really matters most. 

Musical acts at Club 770 as well as the Memorial Union are booked by the Wisconsin Union Directorate music and entertainment committee, which is made up of a group of students and advisors. Therefore, it's no surprise that Club 770 showcases some of the most popular artists among the college-age community. With students' musical tastes in mind, the Memorial Union has a lineup consisting of a wide variety of genres, while Club 770 traditionally features mainly rock, punk and indie bands. It has welcomed many artists of national acclaim over the years including Dismemberment Plan, Rainer Maria, The Get Up Kids and Sleater-Kinney.  

Club 770 is no doubt one of the best places in Madison to see a rock show for free'even if you are under 21. It seems too good to be true, so there must be a catch. The only downfall of Club 770 is the sterile, cafeteria surrounding. The venue consists of a large open room with tile floors, wooden tables and a stage.  

Club 770 may be lacking in ambiance and flair, but that's a small price to pay for the opportunity to see some excellent rock bands. 

Upcoming shows: Hey Mercedes (Friday Aug. 30), and a punk-rock showcase (Sept. 20). 

216 State St. 

Yes kids, the historic Orpheum Theatre is showing more than just movies these days.  

Located on the state Capitol end of State Street, the Orpheum is in a prime location'it's still within walking distance from campus and right next to Nick's Restaurant for a pre-show meal. Or if you want something a little more high class, eat at the restaurant in the lobby. 

With capacity of 1,800, the theater serves as home to some well-known acts. In the past, acts from Atmosphere to Ben Folds have played here and this summer Wilco and country great Merle Haggard both performed terrific sets.  

All seating is general admission so arrive early if good seats are a concern. The view from the balcony is not as great, but the sound quality up there is worth the trade-off.  

The Stage Door theater (the smaller venue in the back) occasionally will carry acts as well. The 285 seat capacity makes shows a little more quaint, but the sound quality of the Annex would be better suited for most of these smaller performances.  

Upcoming shows: George Clinton (Sept. 4) and Atmosphere (Sept. 8). 

1401 University Ave. 

Luther's Blues is almost the ideal college town concert venue. It's near campus, it features strong acoustics, interesting performers and lots of food and booze.  

Luther's offers all the material comforts a concertgoer could want. The club features two built-in restaurants, in addition to featuring two fully stocked bars in the stage area, framed by finished wood walls adorned with blues memorabilia. The stage area contains only 250 seats for the 400 capacity hall, but the seats are in a raised area with tables, helping to create the comfortable and relaxed atmosphere that defines Luther's.  

For those who prefer to stand, bonuses include a pleasant mingling atmosphere during opening acts and breaks and a floor that wobbles just enough to make crowd-energizing numbers interesting. 

Still, there are downsides. During some performances, the floor can get crowded and hot. Seats often fill fast, and exits and concessions can become a hassle once shows start. Plus, the University Avenue location can be remote for non-engineering students.  

Still, Luther's provides a superb concert atmosphere, which in the past year has enhanced visits from legendary blues and soul guitarist Jimmy Johnson, dynamic Latin jazz percussionist and bandleader John Santos, and good-time Canadian band Great Big Sea, among a great variety of other acts. 

Upcoming shows: Alison Moorer (Sept. 6), and The Handsome Family (Sept. 15),  

1206 Regent St. 

When the revered O'Cayz Corral burned down on New Year's Day 2001, much speculation was offered as to which Madison venue would take its place in offering consistently solid rock acts. Luckily, the Annex stepped into this vacuum admirably, offering some of the finest rock shows in town over the past year and a half. 

One of the most refreshing things about the Annex is its casualness. There is no backstage area, so anyone who arrives early has a good chance of throwing back a few beers with the band. And although the Annex is a bar, occasionally they host 18 and over nights, such as this spring's Andrew W.K., Lost Prophets and Apex Theory extravaganza. 

Those who appreciate more obscure artists will be satisfied by the Annex as well. From the New Pornographers to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, from the Pernice Brothers to Wesley Willis, the finest in indie-rockers have all graced the Annex stage.  

The Annex has also proven to be one of the more reliable places in town to catch hip-hop. Madison's The Crest are regulars there, as well as Doc Grip and the Rusty P's. 

The best part about the Annex, though, is that the shows will only get better. They recently received certification to up their capacity from 150 to 400 people, which can only lead to more well-known and better acts in the future. 

Upcoming shows: Drums N' Tuba (Sept. 5) and Shellac (Sept. 8). 

2090 Atwood Ave. 

A bit off campus for some, the Barrymore Theatre is not that far by bus or taxi, but walking is not recommended.  

The Barrymore is similar in set up to the Orpheum, with general admission seating on the floor and balcony, but the capacity is about a 1,000 less, holding approximately 900 when full. There is also open space in front of the stage for those who have not grown out of the moshing phase.  

The type of acts that play the Barrymore are not as mainstream and tend to be more in the metal category. And since the theatre is not on campus, some acts are more appealing to the older generation. Arlo Guthrie and Gov't Mule were big draws last semester. World music, folk music and jam bands also frequent the bill. 

Overall, the view is good from almost anywhere and the quality is as good as the seats. All shows are for all ages, a definite plus for all you freshman. If you're still not convinced, at least go and check out the starlights on the ceiling. There's nothing like 'em.  

Upcoming shows: Mason Jennings (Sept. 27), Mr. Show (Sept. 28) and Spearhead (Oct.11). 

Madison also contains a number of bars that play host to musical acts on a regular basis. Cafe Montmartre, 127 E. Mifflin St., is as laid-back and unpretentious as wine bars get, and their occasional music acts reflect this casual attitude. The music is usually of the unplugged variety, with a recent standout performance by ex-Wilco member Jay Bennett indicative of the level musicianship. 

The King Club, 114 King St., is the home to quality jazz or blues most nights of the week. And for lo-fi rock in a tavern setting, either Ken's Bar and Grill, 127 S. Butler Ave., or Crystal Corner Bar, 1302 Willliamson St, should fit the bill nicely.