Model homes are now artwork

Bruce Severson's Model Material, now showing at the Gallery of Design, 1300 Linden Dr., is a show with schizophrenia. Half of the pieces exhibit a tendency towards anal retentiveness, while the other half were spawned from chaos. 

Case in point'\Capitol Point Condominiums"" and ""Condos"" were both completed in 2001. However, the former is crafted with such magnificent precision that it makes your eyes bleed to think of the squinting involved in its creation.  

""Condos,"" on the other hand, eschews reality for a grotesquely baroque view of life inside the building. There are no miniature flower pots here'instead the detritus of projects past glitters evilly in the dark recesses of the cell-like apartments.  

These two works are only the tip of the iceberg. There are marvelous models of Frank Lloyd Wright buildings, and an installation piece that gives the viewer a peek into the artist's working methods.  

Not only are the models fabulous, but the intellectual stimulation in making the connections between the various pieces makes this show a ""must see.\