10/14/2011 - Evil Bird

10/14/2011 - Evil Bird

Latino retention low

Latinos lead most ethnic groups in enrollment rates at universities, but they are less likely than other groups to earn undergraduate degrees, a study released Thursday indicates. 

The study, conducted by Richard Fry, senior research associate with the University of Southern California's Pew Hispanic Center, shows enrollment in post-secondary education by Latinos comes in second, following Asian-Americans. However, unlike other ethnic groups, Latinos are not as likely to remain in college long enough to earn a degree. 

There are several reasons for low retention rates of Hispanic students. The major underlying factors are economic need and family obligations.  

Fry's study addressed the correlation between high incomes and success in obtaining a college education.  

Miguel Rosales, coordinator of the Chicano Student Academic Services for the recruitment and retention of Chicano students at UW-Madison, he said recognizes how family and community support influences a student's decision to remain in school. 

\A large number of my students come from a working-class background, one where they are first-generation college students,"" Rosales said. ""They may not have as much support as one with a five-generation college background."" 

Fry said that Hispanic students tend to lack ""invaluable support systems at home that most American college students take for granted.""  

Fry also said the overwhelming pressure young people carry ""to contribute to the family welfare as soon as they are old enough to work.""  

Another factor contributing to low retention rates is the tendency of Latino students to continue their post-secondary education at an older age than traditional college students.  

Fry's study indicates that the average age of Latino students is greater than that of other groups. Of the 18- to 24-year-old age group, which receives the greatest benefit from a college degree, only 35 percent of Latinos are enrolled in college compared with 46 percent of whites.  

On the UW-Madison campus, Latino students pinpoint high financial burdens and a low comfort level on campus as primary concerns, according to Dominic Ledesma, a UW-Madison junior and Chicano Student Academic Services assistant. 

""[People] can never rule out experience of prejudice for one to do or to quit something, but larger macroeconomic forces are more important,"" UW-Madison professor of sociology Jane Piliavi, said. 

Fry also discusses the tendency of Hispanics to enroll only part time and in two-year institutions due to the financial burden. 

""Almost half of Mexican undergraduates attend a two-year school-the highest proportion of any Latino national-origin group,"" the report said.  

While conducting a study on the UW-Madison campus, Piliavin discovered that comfort levels directly correlate to retention rates.  

""A couple of friends of mine felt like they didn't fit in,"" Ledesma said. ""They transferred to another school where they felt more comfortable."" 

Monique Lara, a Mexican-American student, transferred from UW-Madison to the University of Illinois-Chicago after her freshman year. Last year she spoke to The Daily Cardinal about her experience.  

""I moved in, like the token Hispanic girl on the floor. ... I felt really out of place,"" Lara said.  

She also found no comfort in the Latino student organizations.  

""They further segregated themselves from the majority,"" she said. ""Sharing the cultures, ... really exposing it and introducing people to it [would be the best way to improve diversity on campus].""  

In order to remedy the retention problem, Rosales said the Chicano Student Academic Services aims to provide a welcoming environment by offering academic advising and a support system. 

""It is my impression that students are afraid they won't make connections on campus,"" Rosales said. 

Ledesma agrees.  

""They need someone to talk and connect with,"" he said.  

Ledesma further stressed the need to ""pump more resources into programs like Chicano Student Academic Services positions in order to keep [Latino students] here."" 

Fry's study concludes that there is no simple solution to the complex retention problem. The answer does not ride on the accessibility of college to Latinos. Instead it lies in creating support systems on college campuses nationwide that promulgate the successful completion of post-secondary education.