Indie folk and cream cheese

While music journalists actively speculate as to which upcoming artist may become the next Elliot Smith, Madison residents will get a chance to see three candidates firsthand when a trio of Pennsylvania based indie-folk acts perform at the Catacombs Coffeehouse, 731 State St., Saturday, 8 p.m. 

Headliner Denison Witmer is perhaps the most commercially viable of the three, having won critical acclaim and a loyal following with the release of 2001's Of Joy & Sorrow. 

With his confessional song-writing, subtle guitar work and emotive voice, Witmer best epitomizes the indie-folk subgenre of the three acts. It is easy to see why Witmer has developed so much buzz in the industry; his songs are sensitive yet accessible.  

He is touring in support of his upcoming album Philadelphia Songs. Fans can expect Witmer to perform an intimate set accompanied by fellow musician and friend Blake Wescot. 

Co-headlining are Witmer's label-mates on Burnt Toast Vinyl, The Trouble With Sweeney, who return to Madison in support of their latest EP, this summer's stellar The Trouble With Sweeney Play Karen And Others. The band's chamber-pop arrangements are beautiful, while singer-songwriter Joey Sweeney's lyrics are endearing. \All day, I work at a museum shop, selling baseball cards of famous art,"" Sweeney laments on the EP's title track with just the right amount of whimsy and vulnerability. 

Sweeney is a natural live performer, so expect a perfected mix of upbeat rock songs alongside gentle acoustic numbers. 

By far the darkest of the three bands is opening act Gunshy, a vehicle for singer Matt Arbogas' blunt and melancholy songs and dark, expressive vocals. While the indie-folk subgenre has always had its share of songs about depression and self-loathing, Arbogas manages to make Pedro the Lion sound like Tiny Tim. It should translate into an interesting, if not powerful, live show. 

The chance to see these three unique acts before most of the radio-listening public finds out about them should be too much to pass up. Likewise, the $6 cover should leave you with enough cash left over to purchase whatever CDs the musicians are selling after the show.