Corporate media loses legitimacy

Media are often referred to as the fourth branch of government. People say this because the media should have the same accountability. In the past few years, this has not been the case. Corporatization has pushed news media to entertain, rather than inform. 

The quality of news reporting in the United States has gone full circle in the past 100 years. From yellow journalism during the Spanish-American War to the period during the 60s when journalistic integrity still existed. Today we again have the sensationalist patriotic media, which ignores its responsibility to the public. 

\Are you an American first, or are you a journalist?"" Surprisingly, during a journalist meeting in Salt Lake City this question came up. Since Sept. 11, this question comes with little surprise. 

Last June Dan Rather decided to speak up, not on CBS, but in an interview with the BBC. Rather admits that fear now controls how journalists present the news. He even makes the comparison to the fear that existed in South Africa when they put ""flaming tires around people's necks if they dissented."" 

Still, Rather did not take any steps to fulfill his duties. It is a clear contrast to what David Astor did nearly 40 years ago. The legendary editor for The Observer in London wrote an editorial a few days after the start of the Suez War in November 1956. He criticized his government for making a secret agreement with Israel. Astor was proven right, and President Eisenhower demanded the immediate withdrawal of the Anglo-French forces from Egypt. Now his editorial is looked upon as ""one of the most significant of 20th century."" 

Now looking at what is happening in the Middle East and Afghanistan, we know very little regarding U.S. involvement. As the fourth branch of government, journalism must work hard to discover the truth. Apparently the U.S. media are not made up of journalists who are willing to sacrifice their livelihood for the truth. When David Astor revealed the truth to the public, he and The Observer received very much criticism. This did not stop him and he continued doing his job.  

Robert McChesney's book, ""Rich Media, Poor Democracy,"" explains how the U.S. media are controlled by the top 1 to 2 percent of this nation. The evolution of journalism into ""professional journalism"" during the 1970s forced media to ignore stories that are too controversial. Although it was not intended, the result was the dependence of media on corporate and commercial pressures. Journalists find themselves forced to rely on official sources to avoid the debate and controversy that promote a true democracy. 

Now, more than ever, we can see the dangers that professional journalism present. In the War on Terror, several operations led by the United States to rid Afghanistan of al Qaeda and/or Taliban (AQT) did not receive the type of reporting they deserved. After every operation, the military reports victory, and journalists repeat officials' statements. Thanks to foreign media, the truth trickles out in following weeks while officials change their statements and Americans are given the chance to see some truth from the media. 

Operation Condor presents one of the best examples of how U.S. media stuck to the ""official"" reports. The first report was that troops made contact with a ""substantial force"" of AQT. A later report from locals stated that U.S. bombers killed villagers in the middle of a tribal conflict. Then there was a third report that the targeted men were part of a wedding party and were firing AK-47s in the air as part of traditional celebrations. As expected, the first was most common throughout U.S. media. 

Times like these can be frustrating. As American citizens it is our duty to search for truth, no matter how hard. True democracy relies on the education of the people. We must not settle for CNN or ABC to find out what's going on in our world. It is crucial to explore a variety of sources. Using the Internet, we can view the perspectives of media all over the world. 

While corporate media dominate television, radio and newspapers, there is an emerging trend of ""independent media."" Using this type of forum allows for a more balanced presentation of news. 

Perhaps Dan Rather's definition of patriotism better represents what journalism ought to be. ""It's unpatriotic not to stand up, look them in the eye and ask questions they don't want to hear."" If only he puts what he says to practice.