Bison: the other red meat

Although the long summer days of grilling out are soon coming to an end, you can still squeeze in a few more chargrilled burgers and steaks during the last warm weeks in September. But aren't beef and chicken getting a little redundant? You may not know it, but bison just may be what your grill'and your taste buds'are pining for. 

While it sounds exotic and unusual, bison is actually quite popular, said Patty Beghin, owner of the Firebrand Ranch in Cambridge, Wis.  

Beghin raises bison and produces and sells bison meat out of her ranch. People from as far away as Chicago come to her ranch with empty coolers, seeking to stock up on bison, she said. 

Part of bison's appeal is its unique texture and taste, which is very different from beef. With shorter muscle fibers, the meat is less stringy and more tender than other mass market meats such as beef. Bison is also very dense and thus, more filling. The unique taste of the meat is very different from beef as well. 

\I've had people tell me it's richer and sweeter than beef,"" Beghin said. 

Beghin has also held many blind taste tests and says that participants have always chosen bison over beef. 

Some who have tried bison have found it to be similar to beef and felt it to be the perfect stand-in in conventional beef dishes. 

""I had bison once at my uncle's cookout,"" said Kris Gorst, a UW-Madison senior. ""It tasted a lot like hamburger, and I didn't notice a difference, but then again there was a lot of condiments on it."" 

Bison has another, secret side to it that many may not know. Besides the distinctive flavor, bison holds claim to health benefits. Professor of animal sciences and extension meat specialist Dennis Buege at UW-Madison recently did an analysis of the composition of alternative red meat, including bison. The project found bison to be a highly nutritional food and quite different from other red meats. 

""[Bison] is high in protein and tends to be lower in fat than beef or pork,"" Buege said. 

According to the United States Department of Agriculture, bison has fewer calories and less fat and cholesterol than beef, chicken or pork, making it a healthy alternative to more traditional meats, though Buege's analysis found bison to be similar to beef in cholesterol levels.  

Bison also contains more protein, iron and essential fatty acids than other meats, according to http://www.bisoncentral.com. 

No need to worry about chemicals or hormones in your bison meat, either. The National Bison Association, a nonprofit group that promotes the sale of bison meat, and whose members raise bison to market, have a resolution not to use such materials.?? 

Compared to the prices of beef, bison costs slightly more. The higher price is related to the extra year it takes to raise bison compared to other animals, Beghin said. Bison are nomadic animals and need more land to graze than cattle, especially if you want to raise a healthy animal. 

Bison is available in all the cuts beef is, Beghin said, so it is a fairly easy new food to try. To take the easiest route and have a restaurant cook up a bison dish for you, try the Oakcrest Tavern at the Stadium, 1421 Regent St., and ask for their Bison Burger. Otherwise, visit Whole Foods Market, 3313 University Ave., or take a road trip to Beghin's Firebrand Ranch, 306 Sheldon St., in Cambridge, for lean cuts of bison that you can cook up on your own. Try these basic recipes on your oh-so-bored grill before the warm summer days end. 

Recipe courtesy www.bisoncentral.com 

Rub your favorite 6 ounce cut of bison steak with a combination of a little garlic salt, cooking oil and lemon pepper. Grill steaks 4 to 6 inches above medium hot coals (325 degrees) for the following times, depending on thickness: 

1"" thick - Rare: 6 to 8 min. Medium: 8 to 10 min. 

1 1/2"" thick - Rare: 8 to 10 min. Medium: 10 to 12 min. 

2"" thick - Rare: 10 to 12 min. Medium 14 to 18 min. 

Recipe courtesy www.bisoncentral.com 

1 pound ground bison 

4 burger buns, split and toasted 

Salt and pepper 

Shape ground bison into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Grill covered 4 to 6 inches above medium hot coals, turning once, just until the pink has disappeared. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Tuck into a toasted bun, top with your favorite condiments and enjoy. Serves four.