Women's golf to enter Big Ten tourney

The Wisconsin women's golf team will pack up its clubs and head to Illinois this weekend for the Big Ten Tournament. After taking eighth place at the Lady Buckeye Spring Invitational Tournament, the Badgers will look to get back on the green and perform well at the tournament, improving upon last year's eighth place finish. 

Junior Katie Connelly has hopes that her team will perform up to its potential in the Tournament. 

\We haven't been doing too bad,"" Connelly said. ""I know we can do a lot better but we're saving it up for this weekend, hopefully."" 

The competition the women will face will be tough, as Wisconsin must shoot well against top schools such as Big Ten Champion Michigan State. 

""There are a lot of good ones and I know we can compete with them if we put in some decent rounds,"" Connelly said. ""Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State and Purdue; everybody's really strong."" 

The Badgers will depend on such players as Connelly and sophomore Malinda Johnson, who was named Big Ten Golfer of the Week April 9 after winning the Baylor-Tapatio Springs Shootout, helping her team to fifth-place overall. 

Connelly has also assisted the team throughout the season, most recently taking second place at the Hawkeye Invitational by shooting a 219 on 54 holes. She also tied for second at the Indiana Invitational, falling only to Michigan State senior Emily Bastel, also a Big Ten Golfer of the Week. As she heads into the Big Ten Tournament, Connelly said she has personal goals for herself. 

""[I'm going to] try and play as solid as I've been playing the last few tournaments and hopefully it will work out,"" Connelly said.