Science Hall

Campus community members toured Science Hall Wednesday as part of its 125th anniversary celebration. The building is protected as a National Historic Landmark. 

UW recipient of economic research distinction

In a report released this week from the Southern Growth Policies Board, UW-Madison was praised as one of the a top 12 research universities in terms of its ability to invigorate and participate in the economy of its region and state. 

\We have felt we have a strong program and that we are an important part of growing the economy, but it's always good to have independent outside observers confirm that,"" said Charlie Hoslet, director of state relations for UW-Madison. 

The ranking comes in the midst of a budget situation in which state funding for the university is at an uncertain level, with UW System officials pointing to the school's role in the economy as a driving force for the state. 

When UW System President Katharine Lyall received a pay raise last semester and drew criticism from certain legislators who claimed the raise was exorbitant, university officials again cited their growing role in the state's economy as one justification. Lyall, they said, was a key figure in that relationship. 

The criteria for selection in the report ranged from tangible factors such as industry partnerships and technology transfer to more intangible areas such as faculty culture and leadership. Technology transfer is a process helping innovations from the university find route in business. 

According to UW System spokesperson Erik Christianson UW-Madison was held up as a model university because of its success in encouraging innovation as custom.  

""UW-Madison is one of the best universities in the country, if not the world, in terms of serving the state in its economy, and the regional economy, through all its work in technology transfer,"" Christianson said. 

UW-Madison utilizes a variety of organizations and strategies to help bring technology to business. 

""We have a very good faculty and academic staff who are very strong in research and development of new technologies,"" Hoslet said. ""When you couple that with the technology transfer agents we have on campus including the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation, Office of University-Industry Relations and University Research Park, we have some of the strongest ability as an institution to transfer technology into the private sector."" 

It is estimated that 225 technology companies have been created in Wisconsin with the involvement of UW-Madison, according to sources mentioned in the report. 

""I think the citizens of Wisconsin understand UW-Madison is a great place to send your child to get an education,"" Hoslet said. ""But I don't think people understand the magnitude of the impact we have on the growth of the economy.\