Letters to the Editor

REACH candidates more informed on the issues

There are plenty of things to be concerned about being a student at UW-Madison. Outrageous tuition hike proposals, lack of affordable housing and attacks on student services by intolerant ideologues are all threats to our ability at UW-Madison to get a quality, affordable education. That's why I urge you to support REACH candidates (listed at http://www.reachuw.org) for the upcoming ASM elections. 

Real Educational Access Can Happen represents a diverse range of interests and backgrounds, including ASM newcomers and veterans, and in-state students and out-of-state students. These candidates bring a diversity of ideas to the table, but one thing ties REACH candidates together: They need your support and your votes to help them bring accountability and commitment to effective student services. 

While other candidates can spout inaccurate rhetoric about cutting seg fees, there are a few truths that students need to know. Unlike cutting tuition, cutting seg fees translates into decreased student services, and REACH candidates understand that students use their bus passes, listen to their radio station and need their Tenant Resource Center. And while other candidates can pay lip service to accountability, REACH candidates were informed and involved with the growth of student services this past fall and know best how to shape those student services to meet the needs of this campus. 

Please take a few minutes to REACH out and vote. In addition to the support of many hard-working student leaders, REACH has been endorsed by Ald. Todd Jarrell, District 8, and County Board Supervisor Echnaton Vedder, District 5. Stop by http://www.reachuw.org to learn more about REACH candidates and issues before voting. Your votes for REACH candidates are votes for progress. 

Badger Party will cut tuition, save specials

Through Thursday, all students on this campus should take three minutes out of their schedules to vote in the ASM Student Council elections. Most people are probably expecting the same old thing: power hungry candidates promising this and that to get elected, and then doing little once they are elected. That is, except raising tuition through student seg fees.  

Well, get ready everyone. This year things are going to be different, because here comes the Badger Party. This past year, student government has set a record for itself in the amount of money it takes from the student population to fund small groups, and to even to pay its own members. The Badger Party thinks a change is in order. We wish to lower tuition by reducing these outrageous seg fees. Student government members should not be paid and small groups should rely on their own members more for paying their operating costs. Another big goal of mine, and the Badger Party as well, is to protect the bar drink specials and oppose increased policing of house parties. The efforts of police and city officials can be much better spent dealing with real problems, rather than in reducing our freedom. 

It's time the students of Wisconsin had a student government truly dedicated to every student's interest. Every student should do him- or herself a favor and vote for Drew Horn and the Badger Party this election. 

ASM slate works for low tuition, decent housing

I would like to voice my support for the REACH slate in this year's elections. 

Candidates on the REACH slate can help us win on more student issues, if elected. The REACH platform is about educational access'financially, in fighting state-driven tuition hikes, and ideologically, by protecting student sovereignty over student funds. They are dedicated to fighting for lower tuition and affordable yet decent housing. They also have the endorsements of Ald. Todd Jarrell, District 8 and County Board Supervisor Ech Vedder, District 5.  

The REACH slate is a solid slate with students' best interests in mind. You can read its platform for yourself at http://www.reachuw.org and learn about individual candidates as well.