INS will now require visas before enrollment

Regulations proposed Monday by the Immigration and Naturalization Service will require international students to obtain visas prior to enrolling in an American university. Students were previously allowed to enroll with tourist or business visas as long as they had applied for student status. 

Amy Otten, an INS spokesperson, said the changes regarding student visas would be effective upon publication by the federal registrar. 

\It only affects those students who try to change from a visitor's status to a student status while they're here,"" said Amy Otten, an INS spokesperson. 

The decision comes just weeks after the INS drew national criticism for sending out final status change notifications for terrorists Mohamed Atta and Marwan Al-Shehhi. Documents for the two men, who are believed to have piloted the planes in the World Trade Center, were received March 11 by the Florida flight school that trained them. 

Sheila Spear, director of UW-Madison's office of International Student Services, said the new regulations announced Monday would only affect a ""handful"" of international students currently studying at UW-Madison. 

The changes also include alterations to rules governing tourists visiting the United States. After a 30-day comment period, there will no longer be a six-month minimum admission period for foreigners who come as tourists. It will be replaced with ""a period of time that is fair and reasonable for the completion of the purpose of the visit,"" according to the proposal. 

Gautham Rao, a UW-Madison senior and member of the India Students Association said he thought the new regulations were necessary after Sept. 11. 

""It's going to be tough but I think it's part of this country and [we] need to do whatever we can to insure security and safety in this country,"" Rao said. 

INS officials also said Monday that the office would process requests for changes regarding student status within 30 days. Otten said this commitment would not have too significant an effect on the INS office in terms of paperwork. 

""The service center processes thousands and thousands of applications,"" Otten said. ""It may just mean that more people will work more overtime.""