Women dress for Big Dance

The Women's NCAA tournament is set to begin Friday, March 15. The Badger Women have again made the tournament as a No. 8 seed in the Midwest Region. Here's a look at the five other teams that will be representing the Big Ten in this year's tournament. 

The Hoosiers, No. 9 in the East bracket, come into the NCAA tournament riding on a six-game winning streak. After finishing the regular season in fifth place, they defeated the conference's top two teams, Purdue and Penn State, to win the Big Ten tournament. Defense has played a key role in the team's turnaround as they rallied around coach Kathi Bennett, who suffered an injury in a car accident.  

Senior center Jill Chapman leads the team in both scoring, with 16.3 points and and 8.9 rebounds per game. She also led the Big Ten in double-doubles and blocks per game. Senior Heather Cassady, the Big Ten tournament MVP, averages 12.6 points and 3.9 assists per game. Cassady took over the point guard duties three games into the season and is second in the Big Ten in three-point percentage and third in assist to turnover ratio. 

Indiana will open tournament play Friday, taking on No. 8 seed, the TCU Horned Frogs (23-6 overall). 

The Hawkeyes finished No. 4 in Big Ten regular season play, but were knocked out in the first round of the Big Ten tournament by eventual champion Indiana. They are the Big Ten's top rebounding and three-point shooting team, averaging 40.7 rebounds and 6.8 three-pointers per game. 

First-team Big Ten selection Lindsey Meder leads the Hawkeyes with 17 points per game and also shoots a blistering 43.8 percent from three-point range. Senior forward Jerica Watson and sophomore Jennie Lillis dominate the glass, averaging 9.4 and 6.2 rebounds per game, respectively. Lillis is also second on the team in scoring, averaging 14.8 points per game. 

Iowa, No. 9 in the Mideast Region, takes on No. 8 seed Virginia (17-11) on Saturday. 

The Gophers, No. 4 in the Midwest Region, are making just their second NCAA appearance under first year head coach Brenda Oldfield. They went 11-5 in the Big Ten this year after finishing just 1-15 last year, which is the biggest single season turnaround in Big Ten history. The Gophers also have the Big Ten's coach (Oldfield), player (Lindsay Whalen) and freshman (Janel McCarville) of the year. 

Whalen is one of the best all-around players in the country and was named a third team All-American selection. The 5'8\ sophomore guard averages 21.7 points, 5.6 rebounds, 5.3 assists and 2.6 steals per game. McCarville was a second-team Big Ten pick and averages 13.5 points and 7.8 rebounds per game, while hitting 58 percent of her shots.  

Minnesota was knocked off by Wisconsin in the second round of the Big Ten tournament, but looks to keep their dream season alive when they take on No. 12 seed UNLV (23-7) on Saturday. 

The Lady Lions finished second in both the Big Ten regular season standings and the Big Ten tournament. They are led by sophomore guard Kelly Mazzante, who leads the nation in scoring at 25 points per game. The Lady Lions, No. 4 in the Mideast Region, live and die on the play of Mazzante, as their next highest scorer is forward Rashana Barnes at 9.8 points per game. Barnes is one of only two seniors on a team otherwise made up of freshman and sophomores. 

Penn State needs their young players to grow up fast, including freshman point guard Jessie Strom. Strom led the Big Ten with 6.41 assists and in the assist-to-turnover ratio, with 2.09 per game, but committed 11 turnovers in her last two games. 

Penn State was upset in the first round as a No. 6 seed last season, but looks to avoid that this year when they take on No. 13 seed UT-Chattanooga (23-7) on Friday. 

The Boilermakers, No. 2 in the Mideast, were the Big Ten regular season champions, but fell in the semifinals of the Big Ten Tournament to Indiana. Purdue is probably the most balanced of the Big Ten teams in the tournament with four players averaging double digits in scoring.  

Sophomore Shereka Wright, a third team all-American selection, is an explosive and versatile 5' 10"" forward who leads the team with 19.1 points per game and also grabs 6.8 rebounds per game. While Wright is Purdue's best player, its vocal leader and defensive stopper is senior guard Kelly Komara. Komara averages 12.5 points, 4.2 assists and a Big Ten leading 3.79 steals per game. She is the leader of a Boilermaker defense that only allowed opponents to score 60.7 points per game, tops in the Big Ten.