Bill will change election finance

The U.S. Senate passed the most sweeping overhaul of campaign fund-raising laws in almost three decades Wednesday, but opponents are confident the Supreme Court will strike down the controversial bill. 

The bill, championed by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., and Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., was passed by the House last month and was approved by the Senate on a 60 to 40 vote. It will now go on to President Bush for final approval. 

\The reforms passed today, while flawed in some areas, still improve the current system overall, and I will sign them into law,"" Bush said in a statement following the Senate's approval. 

The law will bar the national political parties from raising or spending the unlimited, loosely regulated donations known as soft money.  

""This was the best proposal that could have passed,"" said Seth Amgott, director of communications for Common Cause, a campaign finance reform lobbying group. ""This banned the most corrupting aspect of our political system'the unlimited contributions from corporation, labor unions and wealthy individuals."" 

Democrats expressed relief that the bill, which was originally proposed in 1995, had finally completed it's long journey. 

""Its something that Democrats have supported for a very long time,"" said Maria Cardona, communications director for the Democratic National Committee. ""[The Republicans] realized they were swimming upstream, that it was something the American people wanted ... and they really didn't have anywhere else to go."" 

In the Senate debate, opponents readily conceded that they lacked the votes to amend the bill or sustain a filibuster to block it. Instead, they concentrated on sharpening their arguments for the legal challenges expected to begin as soon as the bill becomes law.  

Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said the bill constricts Americans' First Amendment right to freedom of expression. 

He said the bill would muzzle political parties, shifting power to special interests. For instance, he said the bill would allow unions, corporations and interest groups to spend soft money on political ads at will during much of the year.  

The bill takes some steps to limit the political activities of unions, corporations and interest groups. For instance, they would be prohibited from using their money to pay for television or radio advertising that targets a federal candidate one month before a primary election and two months before a general election. 

UW-Madison emeritus law Professor Gordon Baldwin said the question concerning the bill's constitutionality is very relevant. 

""The point that McConnell makes is that the bill eliminates speech,"" he said. ""The Supreme Court only has had a few cases that deal with this problem, but on the basis of what they've upheld so far, he makes a pretty strong case. If [the Supreme Court] upholds this statute, they will be making a new law.""