Vedder, Skillrud face off for new district

Overcrowding of jails, affordable housing, land use and mass transit are all issues that the Dane County Board will discuss in the coming year. With elections on the horizon, primaries on Feb. 18 and new districts in place, Sup. Echnaton Vedder, District 5, and Ion Skillrud, both UW-Madison students, will be running for a supervisory seat in District 5. 

The new boundaries of District 5 run from Henry Street down to the Lakeshore dorms and include all of Eagle Heights. 

Vedder, the incumbent, said he worked on water quality, smart growth and campus safety issues last term, adding that he hopes to get re-elected so he can continue to bring a liberal progressive voice to the conservative board. 

\One of the things I would like to see is a locked drug and alcohol facility that would help with recidivism,"" he said. ""I think the more conservative members of the board would favor adding more floors to the jail.""  

Skillrud said he would like to be a stronger student voice on the board. 

""I feel that I can relate a lot more to the common student,"" Skillrud said. ""Because of my position as a student first, I do not have to worry about keeping my political party satisfied and voting on their beliefs."" 

Responsible growth, which would allow families of all incomes to purchase housing in the downtown area, is an important issue the county board faces according to Vedder. He added that he has been working on an inclusionary zoning ordinance. 

""[The ordinance] would mandate that new development projects include about 10 percent affordable housing,"" Vedder said. ""The conservative board has been rubberstamping all development projects haphazardly."" 

Skillrud said he would also like to see smart development with respect for the environment. 

""Being knowledgeable about the environment [does] not need to hinder economic growth and development,"" Skillrud said. ""If someone goes to school in Dane County and wants to stick around and work or raise a family here it should be possible, and the best way for this is by being open to economic expansion that is positive in all aspects and approved by the general public."" 

According to Vedder, his strong working relationships with the downtown officials like Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, Sup. Scott McDonell, District 1, and Alds. Mike Verveer, District 4, and Todd Jarrell, District 8, will enable him to get results on issues such as water quality, smart growth, campus safety and county-wide transit. 

""Last term, an accomplishment for us was to finalize the student radio station,"" Vedder said. ""It was a county decision and I made sure to have enough votes to get it accomplished."" 

Skillrud said his biggest supporters are the average students who want a strong common-sense government, which he intends to give them if elected.  

""I am an independent student who grew up in Dane County and loves everything about this campus and area,"" Skillrud said. ""I feel that I can vote on every issue independently with a clear conscience while keeping consistent with the beliefs of the student.\