Friday, September 20, 2024

State bills support aid-tuition parallel

The Associated Students of Madison and the United Council announced their support alongside state Rep. Spencer Black, D-Madison, Monday for twin bills under consideration by state legislators linking financial aid with tuition increases. 

The companion bills, AB 194 and SB 79, vow to increase Wisconsin Higher Education and Lawton Minority Undergraduate grant programs by the same percentage as tuition each year. Black, the Assembly minority leader, estimating the cost at $200,000 for every 1 percent boost in tuition, said he felt the bill would be appropriate to tie into Gov. Scott McCallum's budget. 

\I think the bill is extremely important,"" Black said. ""Students with talent and will are denied because of modest financial means."" 

Cosponsor of the bill state Rep. Mark Pocan, D-Madison, said he agreed, calling himself a product of financial aid. 

""Without aid, people like myself, families of modest means, couldn't attend UW,"" the 1986 graduate said. 

State Rep. John Townsend, R-Fond du Lac, vice chair of the Assembly Colleges and University Committee, said through a representative that he has not seen the bill and could not comment. 

The state's billion-dollar deficit has forced the governor to propose a $51 million cut from the UW System budget. UW students could face double-digit tuition increases next year to compensate for that loss. 

The statewide campaign headed by ASM and United Council to counter possible tuition increases will unite the representatives of 140,000 UW System students. 

Matt Fargen, president of the United Council, said financial aid is imperative to enrolling poor and minority students and combating Wisconsin's brain drain. 

""Students know that access is maintained through financial aid increases,"" he said. 

United Council efforts toward matching aid with tuition began several months ago under the campaign label Fighting for Wisconsin's Economy Begins with Financial Aid Today. 

ASM representatives, optimistic for the bill, stressed the economic benefits of higher education to the state. 

Legislative affairs intern Anita Bertram called the bill an investment. 

""For every dollar the state puts into education, it receives a three-dollar return later,"" she said. 

Austin Evans, ASM Statewide Campaign Subcommittee chair said, ""We're pledging our resources, along with the other 26 campuses, so we're very hopeful."" 

Black, a UW-Madison graduate, called the students' efforts heartening. 

""Students don't have the ability to pay $10,000 in Milwaukee for a table, but they have the right to be heard,"" he said in reference in a $1,000 charge at a fund-raiser in Milwaukee for McCallum's campaign that President Bush visited last week.