Mifflin St. may see new bar

A liquor license for a new bar in downtown Madison could be approved this week when the Alcohol Licensing Review Committee meets Wednesday.  

At the meeting, owner Kami Eshraghi will present his plans for Kamia Lounge, 14 W. Mifflin St. 

Some ALRC members have argued against opening new bars in the State Street area, but ALRC member Tom Garver said that completely limiting the number of bars downtown \would be a little draconian."" 

According to Garver, the capacity of the venue will be one factor in the committee's deliberations. 

""We have to look at [the applicants], where are they, how big are they,"" he said.  

According to Garver, there has been some concern over large venues near the intersection of State, Henry and Johnson streets. Larger bars, for example, may need greater police surveillance after bar time. 

Kamia Lounge, however, only has a capacity of about 125 and is not on that intersection. 

""It's not on State Street, which is a plus,"" Garver said. 

ALRC member and Ald. Kent Palmer, District 15, also said the location of Kamia Lounge would probably not be too controversial. 

""We don't have too great a density [of liquor licenses] in this area, right on the square,"" he said. 

The bar owner's experience is another important factor the committee deliberates when granting a liquor license, Palmer said. The ALRC needs to know how the owner plans to handle security, such as in dealing with ""unruly patrons"" and using Madison police when the need arises.  

""As long as the owner has a good plan, it's got a pretty good chance [of being approved],"" he said. ""But we've got to make sure that some of the more conservative voices on the ALRC are satisfied, as it can become an issue on the council floor."" 

The Kamia Lounge will offer a Mediterranean atmosphere, including beverages and entr??es, Garver said. Unlike many bars in the area whose primary customers are students, the new bar will likely cater to a slightly different crowd, such as residents of new condominiums being built downtown. The Lorain Hotel, for example, is currently being renovated into $250,000 condominiums to $1 million penthouses. 

""A block or two makes a considerable difference in the constituency of one's establishment,"" Garver said. 

Some ALRC members have also said they will also consider the amount of support for the bar before reaching a decision.  

""He seems to have some significant backing which is important as well,"" Garver said.  

Although Eshraghi said he would not disclose his specific plans for the bar until the ALRC has made its decision, he did say others in the city have endorsed his plans for Kamia Lounge. 

""I'm exploring opening a bar because there's been support for the type of venture I'm doing,"" he said.