Letters to the Editor

SSFC allocation to SHIP will benefit students

Contrary to critics of the Student Services Finance Committee, it has once again done the job to adequately allocate funds to best serve the student body. This time it is not about a controversial student group or the amount they fund themselves, but about the basic right to affordable and comprehensive health insurance. The current SHIP plan is bound to go bankrupt and soon leave the university with no health insurance program for students. Thanks to SSFC echoing ASM's Student Council's unanimous support of a new SHIP program, they amended the University Health Service budget and allocated $4,000 to help initiate a new plan. 

McCallum needs student help to protect tuition

Once again, the ""representatives"" of students here and in the UW System have dropped the ball. They are asking students and taxpayers to fork over megabucks in student fees and tax revenue while ignoring signs of potential disaster. 

Gov. Scott McCallum has again shown he is a strong friend of higher education and students at campuses across the state. The governor's recent Budget Reform Act ensures students will not see the exorbitant tuition hikes our neighboring states and Big Ten schools have endured. McCallum capped tuition far below the 18 percent increase University of Iowa students will see. Tuition is already affordable in our state, with one of the best bargains in the nation. McCallum has ensured tuition will only increase at a reasonable amount. 

McCallum has also increased financial aid for the students who struggle most with any tuition increase. He has increased funds for the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant by about $1 million. These funds will allow more students to take advantage of the education at universities. 

United Council and ASM have failed to embrace the governor's plan for students. Without their extra push, the legislature will certainly capture the increased financial aid money and will make deeper cuts to the university system. As students, we must accept McCallum's challenge. We should thank him and join him in his attempt to protect students during these tough times.